Stackoverflow's Developer Survey Results for 2017

Very nice to see Julia showing up among the most loved languages on Stackoverflow’s Developer Survey Results for 2017:

Julia is also well-positioned in the salary vs experience graph:

Congratulations to the Julia developers and community!

Cheers,

Adriano

5 Likes

The salary self-assessment graph has Julia as a significant outlier

I wonder if this may simply be a result of small sample size.

I think Julia just makes the job seem too easy to justify the pay :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think it is because julia programmers are naturally modest

1 Like

Looking at the graph of salary/experience, the Julia respondents (as a whole) are comparative youngsters in the world of professional programming. The same graph shows they are doing rather better than average with income (the larger dots aggregate below Julia). This explains much of Julia in the graph of salary self-assessment.

Am I reading that graph wrong? Doesn’t it have Julia with the highest fraction who feel overpaid and the lowest percentage who feel underpaid? Wouldn’t the high usage of Julia in financial industries account for that?

(take 2)
Feeling somewhat underpaid is not exciting. On the other hand – almost all Julia programmers are relatively new to it, and to be doing something exciting while getting well paid is elative. That’s why the Julia respondents as a group have the lowest sense of being underpaid.

Are there data on industry use per language? I agree it is a compelling explanation. If you look at the salary per industry, the top 4 looks like below. $(2:4) definitely look like a good fit to julia. But it is hard to glean anything from the other numbers that aren’t affected by the small size of julia’s userbase.

Very likely. It looks like Julia has the smallest sample size in the graph. They don’t even provide a legend for that dot size.

I would be very surprised if the number of developers who are paid to code in Julia at least 70% of their time exceeded a few hundred at this stage (not counting researchers and similar occupations who are paid for some other output but incidentally have to program computers to do it). Then only a fraction of these people are active on StackOverflow, and a fraction of that fill out the survey.

There graphs are fun, but it would be a mistake to read too much into them.

2 Likes

Should have put error bars on those plots :slight_smile:

Julia managed to get into the “Dreaded” list too :slight_smile: It makes me wonder why…
http://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_source=so-owned&utm_medium=hero&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=hero-home#most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted

1 Like

Julia is also #1 in slant for best data science language: https://www.slant.co/topics/4001/~programming-languages-for-data-science

I hope it is not the course, using Julia, that I just finished teaching :grin:

4 Likes

I am horribly underpaid at the moment, which is because of working for a European startup (that’s not taking outside funding), not the fault of Julia.
Where Julia comes into the picture is that I’m not looking for higher paying work elsewhere at the moment, which would involve going back to C, C++, or Java, or maybe learning Python more in depth. I value my happiness and sanity too much to do that!

There isn’t even a category that fits me in that survey, AFAICT.
I was the principal architect in the core systems group, but not a developer with statistics or math background.
The categories seem full of jobs that didn’t even exist when I started :wink:

Stack Overflow recently made their source data available. Here is a quick look at who used and wants to use Julia: R snippets: Julia vs R and Python: what does Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2017 tell us?.