Stack Overflow open source advertising

Each year the StackOverflow folks ask for a graphical ad for an open source programming project. Now they’re asking for new ideas:

https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/379273/open-source-advertising-1h-2019

Since I did the previous two ads for 2017 and 2018 I thought it would only be fair for someone else to have a go for 2019.

So unleash those creative juices and get designing!

6 Likes

I applaud the man (meaning human) that will dare carry on the legacy of @cormullion. Everyone is well aware of your skills! :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you did a great job previously, and if you are still willing to do it and no one else steps up, it would be great if you want to do an ad again.

4 Likes

Since there were no takers (:sweat_smile:) I put together an ad and posted it. If you like it (and/or want to support Julia), please upvote it; if you don’t like it, please downvote and comment (feedback is the sauce that makes the internet better…!).

I nicked the idea from Scott (@swt30) Thomas’ work at JuliaCon2018 - I thought it might be an interesting angle to investigate visually.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of the idea. The only concern I have would be the scale at which the ad gets displayed. If its a lot smaller, then the text on the left side might be too squished together.

If I may (hopefully not rudely) offer some food for thought, the idea of naming a bunch of fields might work well with an effect like this: julia names in Base thistle | all the names in Julia Base as… | Flickr.