Solving non-linear equations with anonymous function

Hello Dear Julians,

I’m currently translating a code from MATLAB to Julia and I got stuck at reformulating a non-linear differential equation problem. The code in MATLAB is as follows,

for i = 1:numel(rrangeopt)

r = rrangeopt(i);
welfarecurrent(i) = welfare(c,l,s,mass,r,My,e); % welfare under current tax

% compute lump sum payment equivalent to welfare gain from optimal tax using the function welfare
% absolute change in lump sum payment:
cwelfaregainlumpabs(i) = fsolve(@(add) 100000*(welfare(c+add,l,s+add,mass,r,My,e)-welfareopt(i)),1);
% relative to current average income:
cwelfaregainlumpgdp(i) = cwelfaregainlumpabs(i)/ymean;
% relative to current lump sum payment:
cwelfaregainlump (i) = cwelfaregainlumpabs(i)/s;

end

I want to reformulate fsolve(@(add) 100000(welfare(c+add,l,s+add,mass,r,My,e)-welfareopt(i)),1)* in Julia and solve it with NlSolve package but I couldn’t find ant documents online to help me. welfare is a function while welfareopt is a vector.

I would appreciate any input to help me understand what the MATLAB code does and how can I reformulate it in Julia.

Best,
Bahar

I guess you want something like:

result = nlsolve(add -> 100000*(welfare(c+add,l,s+add,mass,r,My,e)-welfareopt[i]),1)

However, nlsolve currently doesn’t accept scalar-valued functions (NLsolve.jl#272), so you have to wrap it in a vector, smething like:

result = nlsolve(add -> 100000*(welfare(c+add[1],l,s+add[1],mass,r,My,e)-welfareopt[i]),[1.0])