Sock Puppetry Dogpile

You said you were fine with a video call. How about you and your friend Walter just jump on a video call right now then? You are already sitting next to each other so it should be pretty easy.

22 Likes

Hi.
I’m here because my colleague, Mr.Bahrami, told me that something weird happened and Mr.Karpinski had a claim that I entered and manipulated the comments through Ms.Boncoeur account. I’m here to clear that this claim is wrong. Also, after reading all of the comments, I guess that the problem is the central lab computer that all of us are using.

However, this is a ridiculous discussion. I haven’t been accused of sth this silly; I think my time is worth more than continuing to argue about these problems, which are happening frequently in this community!!

“You” only joined the discourse a few weeks ago but are speaking like you’ve been here for ages . :slight_smile:

Really? :wink: I think that this show right here jumped the shark a few seasons ago. Time to shut it down…

4 Likes

This discussion is really ridiculous, if they are really different people using the same lab computer (tragic how funding for science got this low) then both are affiliated within the same university/department, and the Stewards can just call the university/department to check with them.

9 Likes

At least they have funding to recruit some foreign students or postdocs there, like Walter and Blanche.

But what I don’t understand is why two researchers that appear to actually be doing something interesting in ML, as their paper on arxiv shows, use so much of their time with this crusade against the language. Probably doing research in Iran is not easy (it is not in Brazil, and we are still privileged), and they really have potential to do good work. I hope the best for them and that they can approach Julia with a constructive and positive view in the future.

6 Likes

Did anyone else happen to notice that the arXiv paper is the only paper from either of those two authors? Someone with some understanding of that topic should check it out, and see if it’s legit.

3 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

I have no comments on the content, but it is not plagiarism as far as the software Turnitin could detect, and seem quite well written, which is not surprising because they clearly write well in English. My post above was motivated by that. Seem legit and good research. I don’t understand the motivations of what happened here.

2 Likes

Fun as its been, I think this thread has run its course.

12 Likes

This “chicanery” (learnt a new word today) is obviously ridiculous and a waste of time (albeit a very entertaining one to read, and some valid facts have been discussed in this thread amidst the chaos). However I just want to caution people against piling too much on these guys, and in particular not give too many identifying details. They are eventually going to figure out that anybody can google them and find this. Once they do, they should be able to change usernames and not leave a permanent trace. That being said, please resume :popcorn:

5 Likes

I don’t get it too!

If you google how much A dollar is in Iranian Rial, you understand the problem; 1 Iranian Rial equals
0.000024 United States Dollar! One medium worker here had an income of 10 to 30 million rials in a month which is about 250 USD! How can a research lab afford to buy many computers (which are equal to billions of rials here!) for their researchers like us?
If you read our paper, we used google colab as hardware!

I’m so much happy about it. Thank you.

This isn’t a game. Sock puppets are not tolerated.

8 Likes

Alright folks. This is the split thread for the Dogpile. Also as a general reminder, however fun it may be, public dogpiling isn’t a particularly welcoming practice either, however deserved it may be. Let the moderators deal with any abuse and if you have additional information, sending it to the moderators is probably the better course of action. Let’s leave this all right here please.

15 Likes