SSC 2021 is the 16th annual Social Simulation Conference and will take place from 20th to 24th September 2021 at the Cracow University of Economics, Poland. The conference is one of the key activities of the European Social Simulation Association (ESSA), aimed at promoting social simulation and computational social science in Europe and elsewhere.
This year’s special theme will be “Social Simulation geared towards Post-Pandemic times”, focused not only on questions raised by the current pandemic but also on future challenges related to economic recovery, such as localization, globalization, inequality, sustainable growth, and social changes induced by progressive digitalization, data availability and artificial intelligence. The details are available at the conference website https://ssc2021.uek.krakow.pl/.
SSC 2021 seeks submissions for the following: Extended Abstracts (3-4 pages; short oral presentations), Full Papers (max. 12 pages; long oral presentations), Poster abstracts (300-500 words). The Submission Deadline is 30 April 2021. The details are available at the conference website https://ssc2021.uek.krakow.pl/. We would like to encourage all the interested parties to submit their current work. In particular we plan to have a special track devoted to Julia language.
The submissions should be made using EasyChair https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ssc2021 starting on March 31st . The submission deadline is April 31st 2021.
If the current pandemic does not allow for an on-site conference, it will be held online or in a hybrid form. Publication of the conference proceedings (the Organizing Committee is in contact with Springer), is planned regardless of the nature of the conference. The best full papers will be given the opportunity to submit to JASSS for a special SSC2021 issue.
If you would have any questions or ideas how to promote Julia in social simulation community during the conference please reach out to me. Thank you!
We hope to see you in Cracow!
Marcin Czupryna and Bogumił Kamiński
On behalf of Organising Committee
Presumably there will be an online component even if there is also an in-person component?
Yes. Even if there will be a possibility for in-person component (which is not certain yet) for sure many interested participants will not be able to travel.
We have a special track “High performance computing challenges in social simulation” during the SSC2021 conference that hopefully will attract submissions from Julia community.
In this track we invite submissions both on methodology and example implementations of complex, large-scale agent-based models. Of particular interest are submissions presenting the following topics:
- Agent based models incorporating full synthetic populations of entire communities (1:1 scale simulation models).
- Simulation models using multiple modeling methods, in particular, but not limited to: artificial intelligence, optimization, differential equations, computer algebra.
- Models having scale that requires coping with optimal computing allocation methods.
- Simulations implemented and run in distributed computing architectures including cloud and supercomputing environments.
- Large scale simulation experiment design, execution, and analysis.
- Technical problems in massive scale execution of simulation such as performance, out-of-core computing, data flow, grid computing issues.
The track is accompanied by the workshop „An introduction to agents-based simulations in Julia language” that is organized during the conference. It is planned to be divided into four 1-hour sessions:
- Part one: First steps with the Julia language (introduction to the language aimed at beginners); instructor: Bogumił Kamiński
- Part two: Meet Agents.jl (learning the basics of development of agent-based models using Agents.jl in the Julia language); instructors: George Datseris, Timothy DuBois
- Part three: Use Agents.jl (interactive session: development of a sample agent-based model using Agents.jl by the participants); instructors: George Datseris, Timothy DuBois
- Part four: Agent-based modeling at scale (presentation of example large scale agent-based models created using the Julia language); instructor: Przemysław Szufel
Anyone interested is welcome to participate in it.
You might want to read the following paper before the workshop to get the flavor of what Agents.jl has to offer: Agents.jl: A performant and feature-full agent based modelling software of minimal code complexity , George Datseris, Ali R. Vahdati, Timothy C. DuBois, 2021, [2101.10072] Agents.jl: A performant and feature-full agent based modelling software of minimal code complexity.
I would like to inform you about the recent changes to the submission dates for the conference.
Due to current pandemic situation the decision was taken to held the conference in an online only format. Although we are very sorry that we will not be able to meet in Cracow, we had no other option under the present circumstances. The conference dates remain unchanged: 20th to 24th September 2021. We have extended the submission deadline to 31st May 2021.
SSC 2021 seeks submissions for the following: Extended Abstracts (3-4 pages; short oral presentations), Full Papers (max. 12 pages; long oral presentations), Poster abstracts (300-500 words). We would like to encourage all the interested parties to submit their current work. The details and updated information are available at the conference web site: https://ssc2021.uek.krakow.pl/. In particular, information regarding the special tracks is also now available at: Special tracks – SSC 2021 is the 16th annual Social Simulation Conference