Simple challenge: Is there a more "Julian" solution?

I am porting someone else’s MATLAB code and found an indexing pattern that was baked in rather than generated programmatically. After hacking at it for a bit I managed to generalize the pattern. My solution isn’t very pretty or clever, nor is it a function that demands performance optimization. However, I am always curious to see demos of good idiomatic Julia.

So…for those that want to try solving it, here is an example of the pattern when N = 13:

index1=[
10,10,10,10,10,9,8,7,6,5,5,5,5,5,5,6,7,8,9,9,9,9,9,8,7,6,6,6,6,7,8,8,8,7,7]

I have a gist here with my own MWE of a working solution. You can either look at the gist and try to improve it, or, for bonus difficulty ignore the gist and just use the unrolled vector as a reference.

1 Like

didn’t look at the gist. this is a lazy constructor

struct MyCustomIndex
    len::Int
end
Base.length(a::MyCustomIndex) = a.len*a.len

custom_state(i::Int,state::Int,current_n::Int,max_n::Int,counter::Int) = custom_state(i,Val(state),current_n,max_n,counter)

function custom_state(i::Int,state::Val{1},current_n::Int,max_n::Int,counter::Int) #constant increasing
    if current_n == max_n
        return (i+1,10,1,max_n,counter+1)
    else
        return (i,1,current_n+1,max_n,counter+1)
    end 
end
function custom_state(i::Int,state::Val{10},current_n::Int,max_n::Int,counter::Int) #increasing
    if current_n+1 == max_n
        return (i,-1,1,max_n-1,counter+1)
    else
        return (i+1,10,current_n+1,max_n,counter+1)
    end 
end
function custom_state(i::Int,state::Val{-1},current_n::Int,max_n::Int,counter::Int) #constant decreasing
    if current_n+1 == max_n
        return (i,-10,1,max_n,counter+1)
    else
        return (i,-1,current_n+1,max_n,counter+1)
    end 
end

function custom_state(i::Int,state::Val{-10},current_n::Int,max_n::Int,counter::Int) #decreasing
    if current_n == max_n
        return (i,1,1,max_n-1,counter+1)
    else
        return (i-1,-10,current_n+1,max_n,counter+1)
    end 
end

function Base.iterate(S::MyCustomIndex, state=(1,1,1,S.len,1))
    if state[end] > S.len^2
        return nothing
    else
        return (state[1],custom_state(state...))
    end
end

to test:

a = MyCustomIndex(13)
collect(a) == index1 #true

To explain my code, i take the challenge as builing a state machine capable of spitting those values. i observed 4 states:

• constant increasing (1): the value is kept constant, the next state will increase the value
  • increasing (10): the value is increasing, the next state will maintain the value
  • constant increasing (-1): the value is kept constant, the next state will decrease the value
  • increasing (-10): the value is decreasing, the next state will maintain the value
    the states follow the order 1 → 10 → -1 → -10 → 1 …

Then, i build some functions that pass those states around. the termination criteria is in the iteration protocol instead of the state using the variable counter

I used the following julia capabilities:

• Multiple dispatch on values: custom_state(x) = custom_state(Val(x)) allows me to dispatch on the value (in this case the state’s numbers. another option could be to build some structs to represent those states, but i didn’t feel like it :sweat_smile: . this allowed me to define he logic in different functions instead of a big if else branch
  • iterator interface: i can define Base.iterate from my custom type, and that allows me to build Iterators that are lazy calculated. for example doing MyCustomIndex(10_000) doesn’t allocate a vector of length 100_000_000, and you just consume the values

Shorter Version:

struct MyCustomIndex
end

custom_state(i,state,n,max_n,j) = custom_state(i,Val(state),n,max_n,j)

custom_state(i,state::Val{1},n,max_n,j) = n == max_n ? (i+1,10,1,max_n,j+1) : (i,1,n+1,max_n,j+1)

custom_state(i,state::Val{10},n,max_n,j) = n+1 == max_n ? (i,-1,1,max_n-1,j+1) : (i+1,10,n+1,max_n,j+1)

custom_state(i,state::Val{-1},n,max_n,j) = n+1 == max_n ? (i,-10,1,max_n,j+1) : (i,-1,n+1,max_n,j+1)

custom_state(i,state::Val{-10},n,max_n,j) = n == max_n ? (i,1,1,max_n-1,j+1) : (i-1,-10,n+1,max_n,j+1)

function Base.iterate(a::MyCustomIndex, state=(1,1,1,a.len,1))
    if state[end] > length(a)
        return nothing
    else
    end
end

Note that the dynamic dispatching you’re doing with Val makes your solution 1000x times slower than the one that the OP linked to.

1 Like

is enum an option?

No, you can’t dispatch on enum values. Instead, you can do pattern matching:

using Rematch
struct MyCustomIndex
end

custom_state(i, state, n, max_n, j) = @match state begin
    1   => n   == max_n ? (i+1,10,1,max_n,j+1) : (i,1,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    10  => n+1 == max_n ? (i,-1,1,max_n-1,j+1) : (i+1,10,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    -1  => n+1 == max_n ? (i,-10,1,max_n,j+1)  : (i,-1,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    -10 => n   == max_n ? (i,1,1,max_n-1,j+1)  : (i-1,-10,n+1,max_n,j+1)
end

function Base.iterate(a::MyCustomIndex, state=(1,1,1,a.len,1))
    if state[end] > length(a)
        return nothing
    else
    end
end

or just write if-else statements.

5 Likes

added some types to dispatch on real types hahaha

struct P1 end
struct P10 end
struct M10 end
struct M1 end

struct MyCustomIndex
end

custom_state(i,state::P1,n,max_n,j) = n == max_n ? (i+1,P10(),1,max_n,j+1) : (i,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)

custom_state(i,state::P10,n,max_n,j) = n+1 == max_n ? (i,M1(),1,max_n-1,j+1) : (i+1,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)

custom_state(i,state::M1,n,max_n,j) = n+1 == max_n ? (i,M10(),1,max_n,j+1) : (i,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)

custom_state(i,state::M10,n,max_n,j) = n == max_n ? (i,P1(),1,max_n-1,j+1) : (i-1,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)

function Base.iterate(S::MyCustomIndex, state=(1,P1(),1,S.len,1))
    if state[end] > S.len^2
        return nothing
    else
    end
end

yeah, finally the fastest code is a simple if else (what Rematch is doing i suppose, nice package!). I recommend adding the method eltype, to specify the type of the array created when collecting the results if necessary

struct MyCustomIndex
end

Base.eltype(::Type{MyCustomIndex}) = Int #important when collecting

function custom_state(i::Int,state,n,max_n,j)
    if state == 1
        n == max_n ? (i+1,10,2,max_n,j+1) : (i,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    elseif state == 10
        n == max_n ? (i,-1,2,max_n-1,j+1) : (i+1,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    elseif state == -1
        n == max_n ? (i,-10,1,max_n,j+1) : (i,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    else
        n == max_n ? (i,1,1,max_n-1,j+1) : (i-1,state,n+1,max_n,j+1)
    end
end

function Base.iterate(S::MyCustomIndex, state=(1,1,1,S.len,1))
    i,state,n,max_n,j = state
    if j > S.len^2
        return nothing
    else
        return (i,custom_state(i,state,n,max_n,j))
    end
end

Is this indexing algorithm related somewhat with this image?

1 Like

Dynamically dispatching on ‘real` types doesn’t solve the problem. It’s just that whenever you can’t statically predict what types go into a function, you should expect significant slowdowns since type level stuff needs to happen at runtime. Your example way fare a better in practice due to small union optimization though.

1 Like

Could you explain? I thought the Dynamic Dispatching in Julia help choosing optimized code path, not create slow downs. Is it used incorrectly above?

Dynamic dispatch has a cost (you need to lookup what method to call). Depending on how much work the function does that cost may be significant or not.

2 Likes

This might qualify as overly clever rather than anything else. Enjoy.

julia> function index(n, i)
           a = n^2 - i
           b = floor(Int, sqrt(a))
           c = a - b^2
           return (n + 1) ÷ 2 - min(c - b ÷ 2, (b + 1) ÷ 2) * (-1)^b
       end
index (generic function with 1 method)

julia> index1 == index.(13, 1:169)
true
6 Likes

There are two patterns, the second being just an offset of the first (it starts with the increment instead of repeating integers). They’re used as a pair of indexes to slice into an ndarray of images for some volumetric deconvolution.

This is nice, and more along the lines of what I expected :smiley: Storing the pattern as a vector (as in my own solution) is not nearly as clever as transforming any given index. (Although, for my intended application I believe it’s worth it to compute and store the values just once.)

Indeed, later on the algorithm has to lookup the same values many thousands of times! :sweat_smile: However, that also depends on whether I rearrange the logic/computation after the straight port. When I stumbled upon the baked in pattern (and subsequently had to scratch my chin for a surprising amount of time) I thought it was a great challenge akin to MatLAB Cody that some might enjoy flexing on.

1 Like