Should we have a Pkg-Announcements channel?

Package announcements,
kinda go all over the place.

A lot in Community.
which I think is better served to actually discuss the community,
with things like meetups, collaborations and talking about how to communicate.

Some in Domains
which I don’t particular mind,
but for things that don’t fit in to any of the listed domains may not be great.
Further sometimes domains are not clear.
Some packages you might think are only good for one domain turn out to be good for many (and you want to find that out early if you can)

Some in Tools,
but most of tools is stuff like text editors etc.

But we could just have a channel for making announcements about packages.
And they would all be together.

26 Likes

Yes please, I think this would be great.

1 Like

If this is about a new Discourse subdomain, say,
Community > package-updates, or Announce > packages, sure.

we need it as a searchable reference

a Packages subdomain of Announcements would make a lot of sense I think

11 Likes

I agree.

While we are on the subject of sections, maybe a “mini-blog” or article-like section for longer, informative posts, would be a good idea, for example I would love to have this kind of posts (or just an example of fun use of Julia) in a specific section.

2 Likes

So is there a reason that what is proposed in the OP has not yet happened?

Why don’t an admin make this channel? It only has benefits the way I see it.

Some organization would do this site a lot of good.

4 Likes

In the past I’ve found that just @-mentioning an admin seems to result in quick attention. So… @StefanKarpinski …?

I’ve created a new subtopic under community: https://discourse.julialang.org/c/community/packages

I’ve kept it under community for the purposes of continuity, though I’m not such a huge fan: “Community” is supposed to be about non-technical topics, so to me this doesn’t seem like a great fit (sure, they’re announcing the package to the “community”, but isn’t everything on discourse doing that?)

@vchuravy pointed out to me that all new users are subscribed to Announcements, so putting it under there would cause a lot of unnecessary mail. I’m not familiar enough with Discourse settings to know if it is possible to exclude a subtopic.

Let’s try it out, and see how it goes. We can always relocate it (or any posts) at a later date. Please post to this thread if you have opinions.

8 Likes

Lets move package-announcements to be under Announcements?
(unless there is a technical reason not to, since that is a restricted channel).

I just told someone who is not a discourse regular about something being in package announcements and watched them mouse over the annoucements section and then look confused until I told them it was in community.

We promise that the Announcements list is low-volume and this makes it ideal for email subscriptions. I think moving #community:packages as a subheading of #announce would increase the volume for folks there 20-fold.

3 Likes

So subforums get posted to the main forums mailing list?
That kind sucks.

Maybe make it as a main-forum then?
Below Announcements but above everything else?

2 Likes