Setting line length limits in VS Code

Does anyone know how to set a 92 character line length limit or a vertical reference line in VS code?

See this answer on Stack Overflow for the vertical reference.

2 Likes

Thanks!

But should we really follow the 92 character line length limit? The BlueStyle suggests that

Docstring lines should be wrapped at 92 characters.

But I found that even the Julia internal functions’ docstrings didn’t follow this rule.

help?> for
search: for foreach FourierMotzkin fourierelimination foldr floor mapfoldr factorial COPT_CBINFO_RELAXSOLOBJ COPT_CBINFO_RELAXSOLUTION COPT_DBLINFO_RELAXUB COPT_DBLINFO_RELAXLB COPT_DBLINFO_REDCOST COPT_DBLINFO_RELAXVALUE

for

for loops repeatedly evaluate a block of statements while iterating over a sequence of values.

The iteration variable is always a new variable, even if a variable of the same name exists in the enclosing scope. Use outer to reuse an existing local variable for iteration.

Examples
  ≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡

julia> for i in [1, 4, 0]
             println(i)
         end

That’s just printing. I didn’t want to go through the trouble of locating the docstring for a keyword like for, but here’s the first few lines of the in-code docstring definition for xor:

"""
    xor(x, y)
    ⊻(x, y)

Bitwise exclusive or of `x` and `y`. Implements
[three-valued logic](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-valued_logic),
returning [`missing`](@ref) if one of the arguments is `missing`.

The infix operation `a ⊻ b` is a synonym for `xor(a,b)`, and
`⊻` can be typed by tab-completing `\\xor` or `\\veebar` in the Julia REPL.
"""

Which, when printed (when I set my terminal narrow), looks like

help?> xor
search: xor export StringIndexError CanonicalIndexError

xor(x, y)
  ⊻(x, y)

Bitwise exclusive or of x and y. Implements three-valued
  logic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-valued_logic),
  returning missing if one of the arguments is missing.

The infix operation a ⊻ b is a synonym for xor(a,b), and ⊻
  can be typed by tab-completing \xor or \veebar in the
  Julia REPL.

Notice that the line breaks are in different places. While I don’t know the exact rules, single line breaks are usually omited from docstring printing. The printing wraps text in its own way based on the current terminal width.

1 Like

Well, thanks. But when writing a long docstring, it is really troublesome to manually wrap lines frequently, and it is also inconvenient to copy the text to other places because I have to delete the line feeds again. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: