Random numbers in CUDA

Hi again,
just in an attempt to build a very simple Monte Carlo calculation that uses the GPU, I need to generate random numbers. What is the current best way to get a bunch of random numbers with the GPU? I tried things like

rand(CuArray,Float32,10)

but got funny results

MethodError: no method matching rand(::Type{CuArray}, ::Type{Float32}, ::Int64)
Closest candidates are:
  rand(!Matched::Random.AbstractRNG, ::Type{X}, ::Integer, !Matched::Integer...) where X at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.1/Random/src/Random.jl:257
  rand(!Matched::Random.AbstractRNG, ::Any, ::Integer, !Matched::Integer...) at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.1/Random/src/Random.jl:248
  rand(::Type{X}, !Matched::Integer, ::Integer...) where X at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.1/Random/src/Random.jl:258

Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope at In[18]:1

Thx,

Ferran.

Why did you expect that to work? Doesn’t work with Base.Array either:

julia> using Random

julia> rand(Array, Float32, 10)
ERROR: MethodError: no method matching rand(::Type{Array}, ::Type{Float32}, ::Int64)

Either you can use the specific curand function (awaiting a constructor-based syntax):

julia> using CuArrays.CURAND

julia> curand(Float32, 10)
10-element CuArray{Float32,1}:

Or you can use the more idiomatic rand!:

julia> using Random

julia> a = CuArray{Float32}(undef, 10);

julia> rand!(a)
10-element CuArray{Float32,1}:
2 Likes

Sorry, I expected that to work simply because it took it from elsewhere in the internet. But I also tried the

curand(Float32, 10)

version first (which actually seems the most obvious one), but failed :confused: Now I see that I was missing the

using CuArrays.CURAND

statement, while I explicitly had

using CuArrays

in my script. I somehow understood that, by issuing the latter, the former was implicitly loaded… but I was wrong.
I’m sorry to bother with all these basic questions, I just wanted to avoid all that when I asked about documentation in a previous post (and please do not misunderstand me, I mean no complain :slight_smile: ).

Best and thanks again,

Ferran

It used to be that way with GPUArrays, but it’s an API that non of the other array types support so we got rid of it. I asked about it because some of the docstrings might still mention the old syntax.

We should fix that, since rand is always available: https://github.com/JuliaGPU/CuArrays.jl/issues/224