Rand in Julia vs MATLAB

question

Hi,

Based on this issue, https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/8606, I see we are generating different random number sequence in Julia and MATLAB. Is their a way to get same random numbers in both languages ? I see a comment ‘you can get that by implementing the same RNG as matlab/python in Julia in a package, but not in Base.’ and I am not sure how exactly to do that

Thanks

Comparing random sequences between Julia, Numpy, MATLAB

You would either have to

1. implement the RNG of the other languages in Julia,
  2. find a C/C++/Fortran library that does this, and write a thin wrapper in Julia.

Doing the first properly is not a trivial task, but it would teach you a lot about the internals of RNGs. Doing the second may be easier.

However, Matlab documentation suggests that they also have a SIMD version, so you could use that and compare to Julia’s default RNG first.

Why do you want to get the same random numbers in the two languages?

For example, if i want to benchmark some sorting algorithms in different languages, i would start with same initial data-set. Other option is to use a fixed data-set (hard-coded).

“However, Matlab documentation2 suggests that they also have a SIMD version, so you could use that and compare to Julia’s default RNG first”

I verified that and the numbers are different

I would suggest generating the test data in one language or the other and saving it as a .mat file (you can use MAT.jl to read mat files in Julia). That will give you reliably identical data which you can also save for posterity if you want.

Alternatively, if it is feasible to test your sorting algorithm on thousands of randomly generated datasets, the average performance should be robust to the composition of your data.

1. Find an independent random number generator written in C/C++, write a mex interface for it in Matlab and ccall it from Julia.

Thank you all. I ended up using (rdeits suggestion)
“I would suggest generating the test data in one language or the other and saving it as a .mat file (you can use MAT.jl to read mat files in Julia). That will give you reliably identical data which you can also save for posterity if you want.”