Profiling compilation of a large generated expression?

Hi @Julia,

The team I’m working with is writing a simulation package, with a core dudt!(du, u, parameters, t) function given as an argument to ODEProblem and solve from DifferentialEquations. The code in dudt! is complex because the target system features a variety of different functional forms depending on user configuration, but not all this parametrization resolution is actually useful to solve.

This week, I switched paradigm and made use of Julias metaprogramming features to instead hand some dudt! = eval(generated_dudt(parameters)) out to ODEProblem instead. My function generate_dudt resolves parameters to output an unevaluated function expression like

:(function (du, u, _, t)

# Various lines generated by the function (dummy examples)
   var_1 = u[2] - 40*u[3]
   var_2 = u[44] / 2 * u[7] - 2
   # ...

du[1] = var_1 * u[1] - u[9]
   du[2] = u[7] / var_2 + u[1] - u[2]
   # ... until d[end]

end)

This worked like a charm and I found some x20 to x100 speedup factor with the (rigid, dedicated) generated dudt! instead of the (flexible, general-purpose) handwritten one. Thank you julia! In addition, I found the metaprogramming experience really, really smooth: the reflective model is amazing :slight_smile:

Of course: the bigger the generated expression, the longer the compilation time. I am currently hitting some kind of a wall when the number of lines in the generated function becomes large (≈600 lines with SyntaxTree.callcount(xp) ≈ 20,000). This is too bad because the situation corresponds to the parameters with biggest speedup factor.

I understand that larger expressions take longer to compile, but I don’t exactly understand why, which part of the compilation process is actually exploding, and what I can do to alleviate the burden for the compiler (explicitly type all generated variables? pick better names? split long expressions into multiple lines?). How can I investigate?

My naive attempt so far has been to @ProfileView.profview dudt!(dummy_arguments...) and stare at the generated picture, but it’s not very informative, with a large empty base boot.jl eval red layer, and only a fraction (≈15%) of it occupied by some typeinfer.jl script. How can I get more information about what’s going on in there? Are there good tips around to peep into julia’s compilation process?

See ModelingToolkit.jl, which is a symbolic system that generates optimized functions (along with doing other things like acasual modeling). Currently it only builds scalarized functions like this, and so yes there’s a compile time increase but we’ve been using that to identify the main issues in the core Julia compiler to improve it. Many of those improvements are only on the v1.9 nightly, so :sweat_smile: a bit off. But in general, scalarized functions won’t scale in compile time so we’ll be rolling out alternative formulations rather soon for handling the large cases.

Thank you :slight_smile: So IIUC we are not alone: ModelingToolkit.jl also uses julia’s metaprog features to generate optimized functions, and also hits the same compilation wall with large expressions. There are improvements in julia compiler down the road to alleviate the problem but it’s not happening anytime soon, and so there is not much I can do meanwhile, right?

I don’t understand what you call a “scalarized function” though, and what you are suggesting as “alternative formulations”: would they be to introduce e.g. loops, allocated arrays and/or subfunctions into the generated code?

It doesn’t use quite metaprogramming, at least macros, because it uses runtime Julia itself along with RuntimeGeneratedFunctions for a staged compilation approach so that models can be built in the runtime (rather than at compile time). That’s somewhat of a detail though.

A lot in the 1.9 timeframe (with some already in master), so think like a year and a half away except for people who run the nightly.

Yes, when appropriate. No allocations though, just subfunctions according to some cost model, directly generated IR, loop rerolling, etc. There’s a lot :sweat_smile:

Okay great. I’ll fallback on “alternative formulations” then keep an eye on Julia 1.9. There is still a lot of work down the road for ourselves so we won’t be idle waiting anyway. Thank you again :slight_smile: