Plotting packages that support Julia v1.0

The Gadfly master branch appears to be working with 1.0 as well:
https://discourse.julialang.org/t/beta-gadfly-available-for-1-0/

2 Likes

InspectDR is also working for Juila 1.0:

1 Like

]add Makie on 1.0 should also work now :slight_smile:

It’s not the final release, but pretty functional already!

5 Likes

Neat! Not necessary to use PackageCompiler for reasonable performance anymore?

Awesome!

Gadfly#master now supporst 1.0

1 Like

Winston (GitHub - JuliaGraphics/Winston.jl: 2D plotting for Julia) works fine on 1.0.

@MA_Laforge, @sdanisch, does Plots work with the packages? Not yet, I guess? Seems the only backend working with Plots is GR now, is it correct? Should I be better off relying on Plots, or going direct with individual packages? I really would like to try my script with InspectDR or Makie based on reported interactivity.

Plots should work with GR, Plotly, PGFPlots, Pyplot and possibly? plotlyjs backends on 1.0

@LeoK987: There are different opinions about whether Plots.jl should be considered “the one an only” plotting interface. Thus you have to make you own experiences. I am personally only using Winston+Gtk for interactive use and PyPlot for publication ready things.

I had been using Winston in the very early days (probably during Julia 0.3), and it was nice, but with some later version of Julia, Winston totally stopped working as if abandoned, so I switched to Plots with GR. So now it resurrected.

I use PlotlyJS for interactive mode and PGFPlotsX for publication ready figures.

1 Like

Its true that Winston is not been actively developed currently. However, I use it very actively and have ported Winston to 1.0 (together with @ararslan). Thus if you were satisfied with Winston before, there should be no reason that it destabilizes again.

I have not looked closely to InspectDR but it might be interesting to compare Winston and InspectDR in order to look if they could be combined. Both use the same technology (Cairo + Gtk).

1 Like

@LeoK987: Yes, InspectDR is now working with Plots as well.

A few notes:

• There is a known issue where the alpha values (transparency) are not being used to draw markers & lines. This is fixed only in the master branch, and will be available the next time Plots.jl gets tagged with a new version.
  • InspectDR does write out a message “InspectDR not known to be compatible with current version of Plots.jl.” Please ignore the message. I simply have not yet “told” InspectDR that it is compatible with Plots.jl.

At this point, if you are having issues getting InspectDR to work with Plots.jl, please let me know somehow - preferably by opening an issue on Github.