Please read: make it easier to help you

also for MWE too… Writing Self-Documenting code | Week 6 | 18.S191 MIT Fall 2020 | Alan Edelman & David Sanders (6 min)

Hello, There is a package equivalent or similar to the R package: “reprex”
Get help!

This section/thread obviously addresses newcomers (to the online community). I am not sure if the abreviation PSA used in the name of this section/thread is familiar to them. I even suspect that if it is not recognized by newcomers, they might tend to skip reading the actual text.

2 Likes

README or READ FIRST may be more effective

1 Like

As far as PSA vs READ ME vs …, there’s only so much shouting that’s effective (and I don’t really want to normalize it). It’s interesting to me that some see PSA as technical jargon; to me it’s a commercial, but perhaps that’s generational or regional? I’ll defer to @Tamas_Papp on a possible rename, but if we change it at all I’d lean towards something like “Please read: make it easier to help you.”

2 Likes

Non-native English speakers may not be familiar with commercial jargon either.

9 Likes

Yeah, I strongly doubt that this is widely known (or even slightly known) among non-native speakers. I only know it from this forum, and I also tend to forget the abbreviation when I want to search for a PSA topic.

Even if you spell it out, “public service announcement” sounds like some blahblah terms or eula, or the text on the back of a pack of toothpicks. You’re not going to read it.

It’s likely people just don’t know what it means or what kind of jargon it is.

4 Likes

Done.

That said, I am skeptical that it makes a whole lot of difference to whether it is read. I imagine that that “make it easier to help you” part should clarify what this is about.

14 Likes

Great post. It’s pinned right? It should be the first thing anybody sees. :+1:

What was wrong about Public Sisplay of Affection?

1 Like