Pkg3: Multiple packages per .git repository

I have a graphical package that I would like to distribute as a single .git repository, that actually contains two separate modules.

Problem

• On some systems, Cairo.jl will work fine, whereas Gtk.jl might not (ex: JuliaBox).
  • Want to distribute a plotting package with a Cairo layer for generating the plots themselves, and a Gtk layer to get an interactive GUI.

Example

Currently, InspectDR is organized as follows (-> means “depends on”):

InspectDR.jl -> Cairo.jl + Gtk.jl

But I would like to restructure the InspectDR.jl package such that:

InpsectDR.jl (package)
|--InspectDRImage (module) -> Cairo.jl
|--InspectDRGtk (module) -> InspectDRImage + Gtk.jl

If I use the old system, I have to add both Cairo & Gtk to the REQUIRE file. But that causes installation issues on systems where Gtk does not work.

The Solution??

If I understand correctly, I would like a user to be able to ] add InspectDR, but only build InspectDRImage & using InspectDRImage - without ever referencing the InspectDRGtk module (which would try to install Gtk on the user’s machine).

…Although maybe the way to do this is to have the user ] add InspectDRImage directly - and have Julia’s package manager know to grab it from the InpsectDR.jl .git repository.

Need Help

Can someone point me to a similar package somewhere - or possibly a set of instructions that closely relates to what I am looking for?

I cannot figure out how to do this with the new Project.toml & Manifest.toml files.

1 Like

@dilumaluthge has logged this question as an issue that you might wish to follow. I’m also very interested in seeing this particular functionality. For projects that have multiple “adapter” sub-packages, having a way to keep them all in the same git repository would be very helpful. I know this was discussed in the birds of a feather at JuliaCon, but I’m curious if there’s been progress?

https://github.com/JuliaLang/Pkg.jl/issues/1251

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

I did not make any progress with this myself. I sort of gave up and decided to stick with a sub-optimal solution.

It looks like opening an issue with Pkg.jl was the way to go.

WIP PR for it is here add subdir functionality by KristofferC · Pull Request #1422 · JuliaLang/Pkg.jl · GitHub. I’ll try finish it next week. Registrator.jl also needs to add support for this.

6 Likes