Pkg.precompile error - exception during pkg> update

Hello everybody,

I am updating the packages in the Julia v1.6 pkg> REPL and during precompilation I get the following stacktrace error:

(@v1.6) pkg> update
Updating registry at ~/.julia/registries/General
Installed DataAPI ─ v1.9.0
No Changes to ~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Project.toml
Updating ~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Manifest.toml
[9a962f9c] ↑ DataAPI v1.8.0 ⇒ v1.9.0
Precompiling project…

┌ Error: Pkg.precompile error
│ exception =
│ MethodError: Int64(::Char) is ambiguous. Candidates:
│ (::Type{T})(x::AbstractChar) where T<:Union{AbstractChar, Number} in Base at char.jl:50
│ Int64(c) in Main at REPL[9]:1
│ Possible fix, define
│ Int64(::AbstractChar)
│ Stacktrace:
│ [1] (::Pkg.API.var"#209#236"{Vector{Base.PkgId}, Int64, Pkg.MiniProgressBars.MiniProgressBar, Vector{String}, String, String, Pkg.API.var"#ansi_moveup#230", Pkg.API.var"#color_string#229", Base.Event, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, String}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Base.TTY})(iostr::IOBuffer)
│ @ Pkg.API /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Pkg/src/API.jl:1077
│ [2] sprint(::Function; context::Nothing, sizehint::Int64)
│ @ Base ./strings/io.jl:105
│ [3] sprint
│ @ ./strings/io.jl:101 [inlined]
│ [4] (::Pkg.API.var"#208#235"{Int64, Pkg.MiniProgressBars.MiniProgressBar, Vector{String}, String, String, Pkg.API.var"#ansi_moveup#230", Pkg.API.var"#color_string#229", Base.Event, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, String}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Base.TTY})()
│ @ Pkg.API /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Pkg/src/API.jl:1053
│ [5] lock(f::Pkg.API.var"#208#235"{Int64, Pkg.MiniProgressBars.MiniProgressBar, Vector{String}, String, String, Pkg.API.var"#ansi_moveup#230", Pkg.API.var"#color_string#229", Base.Event, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, String}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Base.TTY}, l::ReentrantLock)
│ @ Base ./lock.jl:187
│ [6] macro expansion
│ @ /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Pkg/src/API.jl:1045 [inlined]
│ [7] (::Pkg.API.var"#206#233"{Pkg.API.var"#handle_interrupt#231"{Base.Event, ReentrantLock, Base.TTY}, String, String, String, String, Pkg.API.var"#ansi_moveup#230", Pkg.API.var"#color_string#229", Base.Event, Base.Event, ReentrantLock, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, String}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Bool}, Dict{Base.PkgId, Vector{Base.PkgId}}, Vector{Base.PkgId}, Bool, Base.TTY})()
│ @ Pkg.API ./task.jl:411
└ @ Pkg.API /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Pkg/src/API.jl:1023

Any suggestion would be very welcome (thank you in advance)

How did you download Julia? This is a strange error.

hello,

I just installed it via the .dmg (Mac OS vs.10.14.6) at:

https://julialang.org/downloads/

PS.
…I tried to act other commands on the pkg> REPL, like ‘instantiate’, or ‘precompile’, but the output is the same

Huh. That’s the right way to download. Hopefully someone more informed can help out.

1 Like

I tried the following:
(1) shut down Julia and the CLI terminal
(2) reopened another CLI Terminal instance and run $ Julia
(3) selected ‘]’ to the pkg> REPL, then run ‘precompile’
(4) the package ‘RCall’ (i.e., to call R into Julia) did NOT compile and was marked by a red ‘x’ cross
(5) tried to run Pkg.build(“RCall”) but the output was and ERROR
(6) just deleted the package with ‘remove RCall’
(7) run again ‘precompile’, which was successfully executed
(8) run again the ‘update’ command, and now everything went smoothly.

Hope that could help someone else, too