Pkg.update() seems to have broken my Plots install

plotting

#1

Given the trouble i was having with pyplot i decided to try and intall GR
it did this:

INFO: Precompiling module GR.
WARNING: Module Compat with uuid 3037559065285 is missing from the cache.
This may mean module Compat does not support precompilation but is imported by a module that does.
ERROR: LoadError: Declaring __precompile__(false) is not allowed in files that are being precompiled.
 in require(::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:385
 in include_from_node1(::String) at ./loading.jl:488
 in macro expansion; at ./none:2 [inlined]
 in anonymous at ./<missing>:?
 in eval(::Module, ::Any) at ./boot.jl:234
 in process_options(::Base.JLOptions) at ./client.jl:239
 in _start() at ./client.jl:318
while loading /home/nfs4/briand/.julia/v0.5/GR/src/GR.jl, in expression starting on line 5
WARNING: Couldn't initialize gr.  (might need to install it?)
INFO: To do a standard install of gr, copy and run this:

Pkg.add("GR")
Pkg.build("GR")

so i did and now GR is downloading the same linux pre-complied binary it did the first time i tried to add it.

Alll of this seems to have started after I did a Pkg.update.
Should I just kill the package directory and start over ?
No matter what the language, package handling seems to be very fragile.


#2

This is a known issue due to precompilation that can come up. A quick fix is to delete your ~/.julia/lib folder (contains the precompilation caches).


#3

Usually just restarting Julia fixes this.


#4

restarting julia definitely didn’t fix it.
i deleted everything in .julia and started over.
edit: that did the trick.


#5

I ran into this issue this week. My special wrinkle: I have JULIA_PKGDIR set to point to a non-default location (a network share, in fact). Deleting the lib/v0.6 directories in both the usual place and under the directory specifed by JULIA_PKGDIR and restarting was insufficient to fix things for me. The extra tweak I made that got things to work was to prepend the <my_pkgdir>/lib/v0.6 path to Base.LOAD_CACHE_PATH and then rebuild the failing packages.