Outing to Bletchley Park codebreaking centre and computer museum

I propose a trip to see Bletchley Park during JuliaCON
This is the home of codebreaking in the UK during the Second World War. Brave Polish mathematicians turned over their expertise to the British, enablign the building of ‘bombes’ which were mechanical computers used to decrypy Enigma. The Colossus machine was built there to work on the Lorenz ciphers and was worked on by Alan Turing.

I propose we book a group tour of http://www.tnmoc.org/

Bletchley Park is a one hour train journey from UCL.
I think Saturday 11th is a good day - but of course clashes with the Hackathon.
Will people be staying till Sunday?
Alternatively Monday 6th is the day before the conference (though TNMOC is closed that day)
If people are arriving over the weekend that could be a good day?

As an aside, if anyone is travelling with companions who intend to do some sightseeing in London, my wife is a volunteer guide at the Tate Gallery. If you have anyone who is interested in a visit there let me know.

2 Likes

I am interested in both Bletchley Park and the Tate gallery. I will be in town for the weekends. Is anyone interested in organizing some outings?

Meet on SUNDAY 10:00 at the ticket office in Euston Station for the visit to Bletchley Park.

We will take the 10:24 train to Bletchley. If you miss this train there is a 10:54

Bletchley Park: Codebreaking and Computers

Bletchley Park is the wartime home of codebreaking in the UK. Codebreakers including Alan Turing worked on the Axis Enigma and Lorenz cyphers in a secret part of the war effort. Tommy Flowers constructed Colossus at BP, the world’s first programmable, electronic, digital computer.

We will visit the National Museum of Computing (cost 7.50) www.tnmoc.org/

Where we will see many historic computer exhibits including a reconstructed Colossus.

You will also have a chance to visit the Bletchley Park Museum (cost 18.50) https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk

Following the visit we will find a country pub and have a typical English pub lunch.

Meet: Euston Station Ticket Office. Sunday 12th 10:00 to catch the 10:24 West Midlands train to Bletchley.If you miss this train catch up on the 10:54

Contact: John Hearns johnh on discourse hearnsj@gmail.com Mobile: +4479412440876

1 Like