Optional macro invocation

What’s the idiomatic and DRY way of writing something like this:

function foo(async::Bool) 
  if async 
    @async dostuff()
  else 
    dostuff()
end

The problem here is that the code is not DRY, I have to call dostuff() twice (and the problem is, in general, there will be more logic duplicated).

I tried referencing the macro but it errors out (syntax error) - in the line of:

function foo(async::Bool) 
  doasync = async ? @async : @sync # errors out
  doasync dostuff()
end 

Any idea? It’s a pretty common pattern for me, for example, I have many instances where if a debug flag is set, certain computations are prefixed with @time. Now it’s the same non-DRY mess.

Thanks!

1 Like

Does this help ?

macro maybeasync(asyncflag, expr)
        if $(esc(asyncflag))
            @async $(esc(expr))
        else
            $(esc(expr))
        end
    end
end

function docos(flag)
     @maybeasync flag cos(1)
end
julia> docos(true)
Task (done) @0x00007f49b7e4a4a0

julia> docos(false)

EDIT: There’s probably a cheaper way to do it, in terms of code generation.

1 Like

Yes, I was leaning towards a macro myself.

If this is the only way to go, I guess it should be something at one level of abstraction higher, to pass the macro, the flag, and the expression (so that it will work with @async but also with @time and others).

And again, I guess one of the issues will be that macros can’t be passed around (referenced) as arguments (or at least I don’t know how).

Yeah. I thought the same thing about a more general macro. This is probably already implemented in a few utility files scattered around github…

macro maybemacro(asyncflag, themacro, expr)
    mccall = Expr(:macrocall, Symbol("@", themacro), LineNumberNode(@__LINE__), expr)
        if $(esc(asyncflag))
            $mccall
        else
            $(esc(expr))
        end
    end
end
julia> @maybemacro true async cos(1)
Task (done) @0x00007f115df46980

julia> @maybemacro false async cos(1)

julia> @maybemacro true time cos(1)
  0.000002 seconds (5 allocations: 176 bytes)

julia> @maybemacro false time cos(1)
2 Likes

This is where it’d be nice to have first-class macros like first-class functions.

While others have given nice solutions with macros, frankly I would just use a closure, possibly with some syntactic help like

doit(f, ::Val{true}) = @async f()
doit(f, ::Val{false}) = f()

doit(async_flag) do 
    # stuff goes here
end
2 Likes

Thanks so much, @jlapeyre and @Tamas_Papp - I’ll give the two approaches a try today, to see how they work.

They both look great although in the general case I believe that the macro approach could be more efficient as it won’t evaluate the input on every function call. Similar to Metaprogramming · The Julia Language

@Mason first-class macros would be awesome. It looks like lisp-style macros could be “upgraded” to first-class macros. I’d love to see that in Julia.

I may be missing something, but if you branch (either via methods or an if) then it should be called only once.

Sorry, I don’t think I properly articulated what was going through my head.

I have these global (environment) variables which are set upon application initialisation and don’t change throughout the lifetime of the script. Things like DEBUG = true | false, ENV = dev | test | prod, etc. These affect whether or not subsequent macros like @time, @async, etc are used (ie if ENV == dev then many statements are prefixed by the @time macro; but in prod they are not).

I was thinking that with macros I can remove the IF evaluation altogether and just use the corresponding branch throughout the lifetime of the script. So the IF/ELSE is evaluated at parse time and the resulting expression is used from that point on. Similar to the parse time vs run time example here: Metaprogramming · The Julia Language

If you use a global const, the compiler should just eliminate the dead branches for you costlessly. Especially if you dispatch on type.

2 Likes

Constant propagation seems to be already enough for an inlineable function, as long as the global is a const:

doit(f, bool) = bool ? f() : f() + 22
const async_flag = true
function test()
  doit(()-> 22, async_flag)
end
@code_warntype test()
Body::Int64
163 1 ─     return 22 
1 Like

Interesting - wondering how does that work, given that Julia allows changing the value of the const? I presume the function will be recompiled when that happens?

Oh, yes, that’s a good point. They’re not actually constants but fields in a config object. I could se tup some key constants, like const DEBUG = config.debug. Or maybe just refactor the config type to be immutable - that should have a similar effect as the constants, I expect.

No, that’s exactly why you get a warning when redefining a const - because you need to manually recompile a function to see any new const!

2 Likes

I am not sure (though it may not be “undefined” and just happens to work below).

julia> VERSION
v"1.2.0-DEV.28"

julia> const A = 1

julia> f() = A
f (generic function with 1 method)

julia> const A = 2
WARNING: redefining constant A

julia> f()

No:

julia> const A = 1

julia> f() = A
f (generic function with 1 method)

julia> f()

julia> const A = 2
WARNING: redefining constant A

julia> f()

as f only gets compiled when called.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting. Looks like a closure and quacks like a closure, doesn’t it?

1 Like

here’s a more efficient, in terms of code generation, macro to optionally apply another macro:

macro maybethread(flag, loop)
    if flag
        return quote Threads.@threads $loop; end
    else
        return quote $loop; end
    end
  end

thanks so much @jlapeyre for your example above.

@Tamas_Papp i did not see a way to optionally thread a loop with closures. would be curious about such an alternative solution if you have one.

EDIT: i realize now a huge limitation here is that flag has to be literally false or true and can NOT be a boolean variable :frowning:

2 Likes

I was actually recently trying to figure out this exact case of making @threads optional, based on a flag passed to a function. Would the macro you’re proposing be applicable for something like the following?

function func(args...; use_threads=false)
    @maybethread use_threads for i = 1:10
         do_something_with(i, args...)
    end
end

If not, is there a macro that would work for this kind of use case?

i don’t know how to pass in a variable without duplicating the loop code-gen. so instead, i’m now testing an alternative where a global use_threads is defined.

in my case, the loop is actually bit slower if i haven’t started julia with the -t flag, so i also check for that and skip the @threads macro if there is just one thread.

macro maybethread(loop)
  if use_threads && Threads.nthreads()>1
    return quote Threads.@threads $loop; end
  else
    return quote $loop; end
  end
end