Optim.jl - computing value, gradient and hessian simultaneously

I’ve seen in the documentation of Optim.jl that there is a basic trick to avoid recomputing the same quantity when evaluating a function and its gradient (and potentially also its hessian). The idea is to store whatever is reused in a “buffer array” and use a trick to only update this buffer when needed. However I believe that there are cases where computing value and gradient together is faster than separately, but storing a “buffer” is not the ideal solution. For example, imagine that one has to go over a long for loop where every iteration is more or less complex depending on whether you also need to compute gradient and hessian: if you have to compute value, gradient and hessian together, you don’t want to go over the loop three times.
I was wondering, is there a simple way to tell Optim:

• if you only need the value, do f
  • if you need value and gradient do g
  • if you need value, grandient and hessian do h

It is possible to create a DifferentiableFunction like:

df = Optim.DifferentiableFunction(f, g!, fg!) 

where fg!(x, g) returns the function value and stores the gradient in g. This can be used in optimization routines.

Thanks a lot! At least in my use case this seems better than the trick proposed in the documentation.
To make sure I understand: in case of methods using second-order derivatives, one can do the same with:

df = Optim.TwiceDifferentiableFunction(f, g!, fg!, h!)

And then:

• if the algorithm needs f, it will do f
  • if it needs only the gradient it will do g!
  • if it needs f and the gradient it will do fg!
  • if it needs f, gradient and hessian, it will do both fg! and h! (the idea being, I guess, that computing the hessian is reasonably rare and probably much more costly than anything else, so there’s not much point in trying to optimize here)

You can look in the code how it is used https://github.com/JuliaOpt/Optim.jl/blob/addda9ae36044d691b83a12c421b57675b234eeb/src/newton.jl#L30

Didn’t notice this question in December, but check out this part of the NLSolversBase (where the NDifferentiable types live) Readme

Thanks a lot! Will go through it.

I havn’t advertised it too broadly, so please report any bugs you may find!