Newcomer contributor in JuliaGeo and co. - Help me get started!

@NHDaly just shared this on Julia Slack: https://github.com/NHDaly/Maps.jl which I guess counts as one more!

1 Like

Yeah, Maps.jl was sort of a half-day sprint over the holidays to see if i could quickly get a cool mapping package up, built on Makie. I ended up spending a good deal of time just learning Makie in the process.

If it makes more sense to merge that bit of work into GeoMakie, iā€™m 100% down with that!

2 Likes

Because in this post there was some discussion regarding organizations and moving packages to organizations, I want to cross link the following two posts: 1 and 2 from a similar discussion in a different thread. They ā€œoutlineā€ in some sense the story of JuliaDynamics, which some users believe to be a successful case of an organization around a scientific discipline.

I donā€™t want to derail this topic here to a discussion about GitHub orgs and moving packages. But I do think that such a discussion would be helpful, as there are numerous benefits in it, and it has started here. Maybe someone is willing to open a new Thread under Domains/Geo ? As I currently own 0 packages related with Climate and Geo, I donā€™t think I can open it.

1 Like

FYI, GMT.jl already belongs to an organization, just not a Julian one.

(Copying some of my responses in this thread over here.)

The process for getting involved in JuliaGeo development is described here: Pages Ā· JuliaGeo/meta Wiki Ā· GitHub.

The JuliaGeo organization is loosely-tied (in name and focus) to https://www.osgeo.org/. I agree with Martijnā€™s comment: membership in an organization/team are a way of managing permission settings for packages that you co-develop with people, and are best used for that purpose. Iā€™m sorry about the ambiguity in the name, here is the thread where the discussion for it happened: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-geo/oPz2_gz9K-g/TbULPveFXdAJ.

For packages that are oriented along scientific domains, sometimes it might be worthwhile to have github organizations (that might be cross-language efforts) around it. If there is a collection of packages that works well together for oceanography (that doesnā€™t otherwise depend on JuliaGeo), it might make sense to create a separate github organization for it: that might give you more freedom to take it in a direction that facilitates development for those packages you are interested in.

2 Likes

FYI, Gael Forget has started JuliaOcean, an organization to host packages around ocean stuff. Itā€™s pretty empty for now but hopefully it will fill up and help new Julia users discover ocean-related packages and serves as a community of sorts :slight_smile:

since many from the geo field are in this thread and, Iā€™d like to ask a quick side question: is there any way to read ecmwf reduced gaussian grid grib files directly into julia yet? Iā€™ve always had to revert to a pythn-based intermediate step that Iā€™d love to skip.

ā€œreduced Gaussian grid, which has quasi-uniform spacing over the globeā€

You shouldnā€™t hijack a thread! Most geo-folks presumably watch the geo subcategory: Geo - JuliaLang, so posting there should reach most.

Also, for quick questions, consider using the #geo channel on julialang.slack.com.

2 Likes

your right! Iā€™ll ask there