New website

Very nice. On the Scientific Domains tab there’s extra spaces in that parenthesis:

tools ( JuMP and Optim ),

I just noticed that the links are also wrong.

Hah. I formerly worked in a medical imaging unit at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London.
The placement of the apostrophe resulted in many letters to the Times.

2 Likes

Thanks - looks like the image is too large, we need to enhance it with responsive image code.

Thank you, yes, we talked about this too. And I feel the same. Initially, the inner pages were using Futura but reading anything longer than a headline is hard.

We want to run some experiments with different fonts, something modern and more readable, like Roboto maybe.

1 Like

I tried to optimise the image but can’t get much - it’s got a lot of detail and colors (gradient) and leads to visible quality loss when we achieve any significant decrease in size.

@essenciary great work on the design!

2 Likes

Frutiger might be worth trying?

1 Like

It’s a really nice, clean design. Did you experiment with heavier use of the ‘Julia colours’?

I generally like the Roboto font, might be a good idea.

1 Like

Good work, nice design.
Little detail, navbar underline works well before selecting, however, once the tab selected underline it’s blocked under home tab. It is purposely made?

That was a bug - now fixed.

I pushed a series of readability improvements (including swapped Futura for Roboto). I think it helps a lot given the focus on content.

1 Like

The tabs on top of the page: “Home”, “Downloads”, “Documentation”, “Blog”, etc. all behave like tabs, and stay in place when you select one. Except for the “Documentation” tab, which sends you to a completely new page. It doesn’t really behave like a tab.

Should it be styled differently, or something? It’s a bit jarring when you are moving through the tabs to get an overview.

The “Donate” link also sends you to a new website, and is styled accordingly.

3 Likes

Note that the website is all up on github, so it’s easy to make small tweaks like adding hyperlinks – https://github.com/JuliaLang/www.julialang.org

(It might be nice to add an “edit this page” button as well).

2 Likes

5 MB of GIF animations are way too much I believe. Can’t it be made an encoded video since I remember Plots.jl supports it? Then, autoplay, loop, etc.

Also Firefox seems to not apply anti-aliasing filters on your GIF animations (at least the one I use) during scaling, which makes it render really bad, especially the GIF under Data Science tab.

The minesweeper image is rescaled without maintaining W/H ratio.

It would really look good if the Julia in a Nutshell part was a bit interactive like that in scala-lang.org, or at least redirect users to a relevant article.

5 Likes

It seems that the total page size is 17.3MB. That seems way too large, especially for those on limited mobile connections.

5 Likes

Great idea. Done.

Can you file an issue? We have to put the whole thing on a diet, especially on the mobile.

1 Like

This has been fixed now.

2 Likes

Thanks. Fixed now, I think.

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

In the tab “Rich Ecosystem for Scientific Computing:” it might be good to mention the powerful and intuitive handling of arrays (including sparse matrices) in a variety of floating-point representations.