New Julia process every time I open VSCode

When I open VSCode, a new julia process is created and immediately takes up 600+ MB of RAM (which is 10x more than Python). That’s not so bad though. But when I close VSCode, the process keeps running with 0 CPU usage but the same RAM usage. If I open VSCode again, a new julia process is created and there goes another 600+ MB of RAM. Is this a bug? Should I just keep killing the julia processes every time I close VSCode for now?

1 Like

It’a a bug. Filed for MacOS (but applies to me too on Linux, and I suppose Windows): Julia processes not terminated when VS Code is closed · Issue #1850 · julia-vscode/julia-vscode · GitHub

Note with Atom cleanup happens as I find appropriate.

What happens is that you start VSCode and get a julia process as you would expect, then I open a terminal and you get another one. The former julia process isn’t cleaned up on exit.

4 Likes

Good to know. I will keep killing those pesky processes or switch to Atom.

Can we disable creating a Julia process automatically when we open VScode?

2 Likes

You can disable the Julia extension. Is the Julia process staying alive for you after you close VS Code?

Also, note that you can disable the extension globally and then re-enable it on a per-workspace level. It’s nice to have Julia fire up when I know the directory I’m working in is Julia specific!