New iterate interface and type stability

I have a general question about the new iterate interface: it seems that it is inherently type unstable. What I understand from various posts on this topic is that the introduction of the new interface is accompanied with a new and improved optimiser that can build in all practical situations code that does not suffer from this semantics level type instability.

I do wonder however whether this changes the contract with the user of Julia. Before 0.7 the rule was: write type stable code and you will get near c performance. Is this rule of thumb now changing to something more complicated? Something like: Write code that our optimiser - which is a very complicated algorithm sitting inside an opaque box - can deal with, and you get near c performance? Or are there well defined mild cases of type instability that are allowed, and now even encouraged?

1 Like

It boils down to Julia now effectively handling small type unions, which (if I recall correctly) had to be extended to nested unions to make the new iterator work. Maybe there is a doc entry for this in the latest docs? Otherwise there probably should be.

I would instead say that it has changed from “write type stable code and you will get near c performance” to “write type stable code and you will get near c performance, but if you return small unions that is usually fine too”

1 Like

Is there some documentation on this somewhere. As long as it is deterministic and documented one can rely on this as a user.