MKL building error on JuliaPro 1.5.4

Hello, guys!

I’m using JuliaPro 1.5.4 and can’t get MKL.jl to build. The following error pops up:

julia> Pkg.build("MKL"; verbose=true)
   Building MKL → `<USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\MKL\R4HOk\deps\build.log`
[ Info: Splicing in code to load MKL in C:\AndreyOrlov\Stuff\JuliaPro-1.5.4-1\Julia-1.5.4\bin\..\share\julia\base\sysimg.jl
[ Info: getting precompile script from: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JuliaLang/julia/release-1.5/contrib/generate_precompile.jl
[ Info: PackageCompiler: creating base system image (incremental=false)...
error during bootstrap:
LoadError("<USER_PATH>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\jl_c6r3Fr\\sysimage_packagecompiler_944bf0c0-d8e4-11eb-12d4-ade3abf790f9.jl", 16, ArgumentError("Package MKL not found in current path:\n- Run `import Pkg; Pkg.add(\"MKL\")` to install the MKL package.\n"))
require at .\loading.jl:893
jl_apply at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\julia.h:1691 [inlined]
do_call at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\interpreter.c:117
eval_value at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\interpreter.c:206
eval_body at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\interpreter.c:428
jl_interpret_toplevel_thunk at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\interpreter.c:660
top-level scope at <USER_PATH>\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_c6r3Fr\sysimage_packagecompiler_944bf0c0-d8e4-11eb-12d4-ade3abf790f9.jl:63
jl_toplevel_eval_flex at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\toplevel.c:840
jl_parse_eval_all at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\ast.c:913
jl_load_rewrite at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\toplevel.c:914 [inlined]
jl_load at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/src\toplevel.c:919
exec_program at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/ui\repl.c:45
true_main at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/ui\repl.c:118
wmain at /cygdrive/c/buildbot/worker/package_win64/build/ui\repl.c:227
__tmainCRTStartup at /usr/src/debug/mingw64-x86_64-runtime-8.0.0-1/crt\crtexe.c:328
mainCRTStartup at /usr/src/debug/mingw64-x86_64-runtime-8.0.0-1/crt\crtexe.c:212
BaseThreadInitThunk at C:\windows\System32\KERNEL32.DLL (unknown line)
RtlUserThreadStart at C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll (unknown line)

ERROR: LoadError: failed process: Process(`'<JuliaProDir>\JuliaPro-1.5.4-1\Julia-1.5.4\bin\julia.exe' --color=yes --startup-file=no --cpu-target native '--sysimage=<USER_PATH>\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_c6r3Fr\corecompiler.ji' -g1 -O0 '--output-ji=<USER_PATH>\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_c6r3Fr\sys.ji' '<USER_PATH>\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_c6r3Fr\sysimage_packagecompiler_944bf0c0-d8e4-11eb-12d4-ade3abf790f9.jl'`, ProcessExited(1)) [1]

Stacktrace:
 [1] pipeline_error at .\process.jl:525 [inlined]
 [2] read(::Cmd) at .\process.jl:412
 [3] (::PackageCompiler.var"#2#3"{String,Array{String,1},String,String,String,String})() at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\PackageCompiler\ztq60\src\PackageCompiler.jl:169
 [4] cd(::PackageCompiler.var"#2#3"{String,Array{String,1},String,String,String,String}, ::String) at .\file.jl:93
 [5] create_fresh_base_sysimage(::Array{String,1}; cpu_target::String) at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\PackageCompiler\ztq60\src\PackageCompiler.jl:152
 [6] create_sysimage(::Array{Symbol,1}; sysimage_path::Nothing, project::String, precompile_execution_file::Array{String,1}, precompile_statements_file::Array{String,1}, incremental::Bool, filter_stdlibs::Bool, replace_default::Bool, cpu_target::String, script::String, base_sysimage::Nothing, isapp::Bool) at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\PackageCompiler\ztq60\src\PackageCompiler.jl:441
 [7] top-level scope at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\MKL\R4HOk\src\install.jl:132
 [8] eval at .\boot.jl:347 [inlined]
 [9] change_blas_library(::String) at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\MKL\R4HOk\src\install.jl:130
 [10] enable_mkl_startup() at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\MKL\R4HOk\src\install.jl:107
 [11] top-level scope at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\MKL\R4HOk\deps\build.jl:15
 [12] include(::String) at .\client.jl:457
 [13] top-level scope at none:5
in expression starting at <USER_PATH>\.julia\packages\MKL\R4HOk\deps\build.jl:15
┌ Error: Error building `MKL`:
└ @ Pkg.Operations C:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.5\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:949

Is there specific reason why you’re using JuliaPro? There aren’t many JuliaPro users out there, so it’s usually a bit harder to get help with it. For the vast majority of users the current stable release (1.6.1) is the best Julia version to use.

Probably a hasty choice just for the convenience of Juno installation. Would you recommend to stick to Julia and manually installing Juno instead?

Yes, I think that’s generally preferred. I should also note that Juno is not actively developed anymore and development has moved to the VS Code extension for Julia (although juno is still working just fine, I still use it every day).

On a related note, you might be interested in the 1.7beta version of Julia, which introduces libblastrampoline, which (as far as I understand) Provides the ability to more easily switch between BLAS libraries.

Thank you for the suggestion! I just switched to Julia + VS Code. Apart from better user experience with VS Code itself, I also managed to build the MKL package.

P.S. Nothing on the Juno webpage suggests it’s no longer in development. I guess newcomers would benefit from some notification badge there.

Best,
Andrey

1 Like

Should be right on the landing page: Home · Juno Documentation

Not here though:

https://junolab.org/