Makie, how to move `xlabel` to the right?

For example:

the X [GeV]

1 Like

So this is a really ugly solution, but hey, it works.

using GLMakie

f = scatter(rand(100), rand(100))
f.axis.xlabel = "x"

# Originally it was [416.0, 33.36] and this below moved it to the left
f.axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext].input_args[1][] = [306.0, 33.36]

I would assume there is a specialized function, but with Makie I find it easier to just roam around the objects until I find a plausible Observable. :wink:

just like many things, these numbers are absolute coordinates (data dependent) :frowning:

Are you sure they are not pixels? So you should know in advance where to put it (you could script is as a fraction of explicitly declared resolution).

even if they are pixels, how’d I know in advance, no matter, I mean it’s not a friendly solution at any rate.

Ok, fine. Let’s cook up a nicer one.

Try this:

function move_xlabel!(axis)
    ax_lend = axis.xaxis.elements[:axisline][1].val[1][1]
    ax_rend = axis.xaxis.elements[:axisline][1].val[2][1]

label_pos = axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext][1].val[1][1]

translate!(axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext], ax_rend-label_pos, 0, 0)
    axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext].attributes[:align][] = (:right, :top)
end

And then just:

using GLMakie

fig, axis, plot = scatter(rand(100), rand(100))
axis.xlabel = "This is on the right!"
move_xlabel!(axis)

For me it aligns the right edge of the xlabel to the end of x-axis.
Also, making the function more generic should provide a tool to move both labels to any corner.
You can also add an offset parameter in the subtraction in translate! to move it a bit off axis, if needed.

2 Likes

Looks pretty cool! I whipped up a quick and dirty dynamic version, which should be able to translate the axis xlabel to any halign, even outside (0,1), and keep abreast of changing layouts.

function move_xlabel!(axis, halign = 1.0)
    0 <= halign <= 1 || @warn "Halign outside of (0, 1)!  Be warned."

label_pos = @lift $(axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext][1])[1][1] # get the label position in the x dimension

lift(axis.scene.px_area, label_pos) do px_area, current_pos
        xwidth = px_area.widths[1] # the width of the scene
        desired_offset = xwidth * halign
        translate!(axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext], desired_offset - current_pos, 0, 0)
    end
    # TODO: don't set this, let the user do it.
    axis.xaxis.elements[:labeltext].align[] = (:right, :top)
end

Executing this code,

f, a, p = lines(rand(10))
a.xlabel = "Hello there!"
move_xlabel!(a, 0.9)

I get this output:

which seems pretty good! One could theoretically implement something similar for the y-label as well.

You could also just throw a separate Label below. E.g. Label(f[2, 1], "Test ", halign = :right, tellwidth = false). (You can also set halign to a fraction like 0.8)

1 Like

Someone could make a PR to Makie which allows alignment to be set on the LineAxis label, :top and :bottom or number for y and :right, :left or number for x orientation. That should not be more difficult than coming up with hacks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I wonder if there was any update on Makie that made this axis label placement easier? Or is the hack above still the only way to do this? Thanks!

Nobody did, the easiest way is still to use Label