Losing type stability after passing function output from Symbolics.jl build_function() as parameter elsewhere

This is probably expected behaviour but I don’t understand quite why it’s happening, and suspect it’d be useful to know.

As part of a small library, I’ve been using Symbolics.jl to take user-supplied expressions, compile them to Julia functions, and then use these for further processing and computations. This mostly works well so far and the functions produced from build_function() are type stable. However, if I then pass that function as an argument to a different function and call it, or even wrap it in another function, then the type stability seems to be lost. The performance within these calculations is apparently fine though: I’ve tested on a number of reasonable examples. MWE at end.

So my question(s) are:

i. Why is the type stability lost? I’m guessing when Julia infers types it cannot ‘see’ what the RuntimeGeneratedFunction is doing but that’s quite woolly and I don’t think I’ve understood properly what’s going on.

ii. Can this be (easily) remedied?

iii. Since the benchmarking looks fine, can I just annotate (assert?) types somewhere sensible so it doesn’t propagate Any throughout the rest of the execution? Due to how the rest of the code is structured, I know what types should be imparted.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

MWE
julia> using RuntimeGeneratedFunctions, SymbolicUtils, Symbolics

julia> @variables x[1:5]
1-element Vector{Symbolics.Arr{Num, 1}}:
 x[1:5]

julia> w = Symbolics.scalarize(x)
5-element Vector{Num}:
 x[1]
 x[2]
 x[3]
 x[4]
 x[5]

julia> test_num = (x[1] - x[2])^3 + (x[3]*x[4]*x[5] - x[1]*x[2])^5
(x[3]*x[4]*x[5] - x[1]*x[2])^5 + (x[1] - x[2])^3

julia> test_fn = build_function(test_num, w; expression=Val{false})
RuntimeGeneratedFunction(#=in Symbolics=#, #=using Symbolics=#, :((ˍ₋arg1,)->begin  
          #= C:\Users\peterma\.julia\packages\SymbolicUtils\qulQp\src\code.jl:349 =#
          #= C:\Users\peterma\.julia\packages\SymbolicUtils\qulQp\src\code.jl:350 =#
          #= C:\Users\peterma\.julia\packages\SymbolicUtils\qulQp\src\code.jl:351 =#
          begin
              (+)((^)((+)((*)((*)(-1, (getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 1)), (getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 2)), (*)((*)((getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 3), (getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 4)), (getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 5))), 5), (^)((+)((*)(-1, (getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 2)), (getindex)(ˍ₋arg1, 1)), 3))
          end
      end))

julia> x0 = [ 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 ]
5-element Vector{Float64}:

julia> test_fn(x0)

julia> @code_warntype test_fn(x0)
MethodInstance for (::RuntimeGeneratedFunction{(:ˍ₋arg1,), Symbolics.var"#_RGF_ModTag", Symbolics.var"#_RGF_ModTag", (0xab7cee3c, 0x63779d06, 0x2ab0d9ad, 0x964c6cc8, 0x3eff94b6)})(::Vector{Float64})
  from (f::RuntimeGeneratedFunction)(args::Vararg{Any, N}) where N in RuntimeGeneratedFunctions at C:\Users\peterma\.julia\packages\RuntimeGeneratedFunctions\KrkGo\src\RuntimeGeneratedFunctions.jl:117
Static Parameters
  N = 1
Arguments
  f::RuntimeGeneratedFunction{(:ˍ₋arg1,), Symbolics.var"#_RGF_ModTag", Symbolics.var"#_RGF_ModTag", (0xab7cee3c, 0x63779d06, 0x2ab0d9ad, 0x964c6cc8, 0x3eff94b6)}
  args::Tuple{Vector{Float64}}
Body::Float64
1 ─ %1 = Core.tuple(f)::Tuple{RuntimeGeneratedFunction{(:ˍ₋arg1,), Symbolics.var"#_RGF_ModTag", Symbolics.var"#_RGF_ModTag", (0xab7cee3c, 0x63779d06, 0x2ab0d9ad, 0x964c6cc8, 0x3eff94b6)}}
│   %2 = Core._apply_iterate(Base.iterate, RuntimeGeneratedFunctions.generated_callfunc, %1, args)::Float64
└──      return %2

julia> function wrap_test_fn(x)
           return test_fn(x)
       end
wrap_test_fn (generic function with 1 method)

julia> wrap_test_fn(x0)

julia> @code_warntype wrap_test_fn(x0)
MethodInstance for wrap_test_fn(::Vector{Float64})
  from wrap_test_fn(x) in Main at REPL[9]:1
Arguments
  #self#::Core.Const(wrap_test_fn)
  x::Vector{Float64}
Body::Any
1 ─ %1 = Main.test_fn(x)::Any
└──      return %1

test_fn is a global variable, etc etc globals.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! I feel slightly daft now but at least it’s clear.

In the code I’ve been working on, I get the same problem when the variables aren’t global. However, I am using a closure: I assume that’d be the cause of the same sort of issue? (It was a style-over-substance notion, which I think is probably better to undo anyway)

MWE with closure of the same idea as I was using
struct TestStuff
    fn::Function
    n::Int64
end

function create_teststuff()
    @variables x[1:2]
    w = Symbolics.scalarize(x)
    test_num = (x[1] - x[2])^5
    test_fn = build_function(test_num, w; expression=Val{false})

st_teststuff = TestStuff(test_fn, 1)
    return st_teststuff
end

function test_wrap(st_teststuff::TestStuff)
    function local_fn(x)
        return st_teststuff.fn(x) + st_teststuff.n
    end
    return local_fn
end

our_teststuff = create_teststuff()
wrapped_fn = test_wrap(our_teststuff)

Yes, closures can have that issue. If you use a let block you can avoid it.