Looking for an open WebSockets API to make a package for

I’m the developer of the DandelionWebSockets package, which is a WebSocket client. While I am again actively developing it, the original use case I had for it is no longer relevant (I made a simple Slack bot using it).

I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on some WebSockets based API somewhere, that I could make a package for, using my WebSockets client. I was thinking something along the lines of some open scientific data database, but I haven’t been able to find a suitable API service. I’m open to other suggestions, though.
The open data services I found so far have been REST APIs. I have been searching along the lines of climate data like NOAA Web Services API (version 2) Documentation | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC).

The primary reason for wanting to make a package for it is to be able to exercise the code in order to find issues myself, and get a good idea of where I need to make an effort in order to make it easier for users.

Hey Erik,

I am (was) actually using your code in one of my Julia packages (https://github.com/tamasgal/KM3NeT.jl/blob/master/src/WebSocketClient.jl) but had some problems with deprecation warnings (don’t remember anymore, something with Nettle and Strings etc.) so it’s currently buried in a non-public prototype branch.

I was originally looking for a lightweight WebSocket package which could easily talk to a web server. In my case to a Python webserver based on Tornado to visualise realtime events in a neutrino detector (using this prototype visualiser: http://tamasgal.com/rba/).

Nice to hear you are working on it again and I hope to be able to (re)include it in my project!

Sorry for being off-topic, I was just happy to see that you are still working on it :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I’m glad it was at least partly useful. I actually recently replaced Nettle with the SHA.jl package instead, because I had issues building it on Travis-CI. Most of the deprecation warnings should be fixed, but some still remain.

1 Like

This would be a nice use case.

What about the open science framework?. Not sure if their API is suitable, but I’m told their developers are super responsive and eager to get new people involved.

1 Like

@erikedin I also used your package (a fork of it) to handle https://docs.gdax.com/#websocket-feed which is a feed of order books updates of several cryptocurrencies. It is publicly available and really easy to use.
Though I had to tweak some parts of your code in order to make it work for me nicely, I must say that it was a pleasure to use your code. Really nice work. Glad to hear that your are working on it again.

Related:

Thanks for all the suggestions! The open science framework is exactly along the lines I was thinking, but didn’t have a WebSocket API as far as I could see.
As for the cryptocurrency feeds, I used to work in algorithmic trading, and the sight of price feeds and order books gives me anxiety. :slight_smile: Sorry!

I really didn’t think I’d have any problems coming up with a suitable service, but I googled a lot and only come up with REST APIs. If push comes to shove, I’ll dust off my old Slack library. I’d rather not, because I didn’t particularly like the Slack API, but it’ll do in a pinch.