Linux users of Julia: Which distro do you use?

+1 over here

Is there a particular reason to compile Emacs rather than using the repo version or just personal preference? Iā€™ve only used what comes with ubuntu so far.

1 Like

I use Alpine Linux, which is not really well supported because it uses musl libc instead of glibc, which causes issues with loading many JLLs. However, with the help of the BinaryBuilder/Yggdrasil team, weā€™ve gotten much better JLL support, so once 1.6 is released things should be much better :slight_smile:

Why do I do this to myself? Because I like simplicity, and resolving Gentooā€™s package managerā€™s resolver errors drove me mad. apk and abuild are wonderful things :smile:

3 Likes

I only run alpine in my docker images. Youā€™re the first person Iā€™ve ever heard of to run it as a daily OS. :sweat_smile: Always nice to see all the diversity that exists in the linux community. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I compile emacs because usually there is a feature in master that I want to use that isnā€™t yet in the main release. In the recent past this was native json processing, which is now in v27. Now I am using the native compilation branch which compiles emacs lisp code to native machine code giving a pretty significant performance boost for just about everything.

3 Likes

There is something kind of zen about the thought of using Alpine as a daily driver. Could write a big project and docker your machine, wipe your drive, start again.

1 Like

To get a preview of new features, also to test some Emacs packages I maintain.

In practice kellekyā€™s PPA gets you the same, with occasionally having to wait a bit for updates.

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense.

Native JSON does sound nice. :slight_smile:

I use Fedora because @nalimilan has a killer COPR repo that provides a very up-to-date and correct Julia that my package manager handles for me (instead of needing to manually download official builds). Itā€™s stable enough that I really spend no time managing my system.

BUT, if I were planning to dedicate time to learning a new system, I would be tempted to pick an even more rock-solid and conservative OS like debian, and then keep a persistent image of a bleeding-edge OS like Arch using systemd-nspawn, which is where Iā€™d keep my Julia. From my small experiments, systemd-nspawn has been very impressive. I donā€™t need or even want much bleeding-edge software, so something like that seems like an interesting solution. I have no idea if itā€™s really feasible, and it sort of means maintaining two systems. But if both of those maintenance requirements are super low, thatā€™s probably still not a huge deal.

6 Likes

Just for funā€¦Has anyone tried iSh Shell on an iPhone/iPad? I havenā€™t installed Julia on my phone yet, but would like to know how if anyone else has.

iSh emulates x86, so I donā€™t think the julia-alpine binaries will work. Though I havenā€™t actually tried, yet.

Hi Mason,
Iā€™m on Manjaro and I ve installed Julia and Jupyter notebook from the Software installer.
so far, I cant link Julia to Jupyter through the Terminal : Pkg.add(ā€œIjuliaā€) I get the : ERROR: UndefVarError: Pkg not defined

ā€¦ Did you face this problem too ?
Thanks

That is unrelated to Manjaro - you need to do using Pkg; Pkg.add("IJulia") (also make sure to use the correct capitalization of IJulia)

2 Likes

yop, I did try all of the possible upercase combination but that is not the reason whyā€¦
probably a pathway problem somewhereā€¦ Iā€™ll see if can find how to fix the ini path or else I ll try the Anaconda wayā€¦

Did you try this part of

Nilsā€™ comment?

The problem youā€™re experiencing has nothing to do with pathways, ini or Anacondaā€¦

2 Likes

Had not seen @nilshj comment yet but Yesss !!!
:ok_hand: that worked for me straight away on my Zorin Partiton
(will test it back on the Manjaro one / Triple booting on Manjaro/Zorin/Mint)
Thanks for pointing me to the solution so quickly guys since Iā€™m very new to both Julia/Jupyter

Great helpers !
[SOLVED]

1 Like

Thanks a lot nilshg , worked straight away !!!

I wish there was some super simplified distro - similar to an android phone layout with few buttons and Apps that senor users could use to do simple task such as receiving watching photos, reading a chat and no more than 9 Apps with bigger buttonsā€¦ many senors do want to keep up in touch with others but our nowadays Desktop (not only talking about Linux) are just too combersome and overly complicated for their needs and capabilitiesā€¦
My dad is 85 and manage to open facebook but many times confuse himself, sending unwanted photos, etcā€¦ Android touch screens detection are just not configured for elders clicking abilitiesā€¦too long, too short, too strongā€¦
Well that is a lonnnng talk, but wait till weā€™re 80 ourselves and itll make more sense then ! :crazy_face:

• Bring the fun back to the Rocking chair ! as one could say :slight_smile:
1 Like

I installed Xubuntu for all of my senior relatives (65ā€“80), with automated security upgrades, and enlarged text and icons if requested. They are happy with it. They distro, again, is pretty much irrelevant in this case, you could get a nice XFCE setup (or whatever you like) on any distro. I backup all their stuff daily using borgbackup to my own server and provide remote support if necessary (but also support in person ā€” they give me :cookie:s and :coffee:).

I found that what matters the most is browser protection plugins like uBlock Origin. Somehow creepy adware addons that hijack and monitor traffic still get into their browsers occasionally, and I have no clue how that happens as it never happens to me.

9 Likes

Donā€™t want to go too far off topic, but Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere (supported by the EFF), Decentraleyes, and the DuckDuckGo Privacy add-on are also really good.

4 Likes