JuliaBox: Adding a package asks for credentials and fails

I was trying to

using Pkg
Pkg.add("PeriodicTable")

on the new JuliaBox (Julia 1.0).

However, I was asked for a username and password for pkg.juliacomputing.org. After pressing Enter a couple of times (leaving the fields empty), I’m now always getting:

Updating registry at `/home/jrun/.julia/registries/JuliaPro`
  Updating git-repo `https://pkg.juliacomputing.com/registry/JuliaPro`
  Updating registry at `/home/jrun/.julia/registries/JuliaPro`
  Updating git-repo `https://pkg.juliacomputing.com/registry/JuliaPro`
The following package names could not be resolved:
 * PeriodicTable (not found in project, manifest or registry)
Please specify by known `name=uuid`.

Stacktrace:
 [1] pkgerror(::String) at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:121
 [2] #ensure_resolved#43(::Bool, ::Function, ::Pkg.Types.EnvCache, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:895
 [3] #ensure_resolved at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [4] #add_or_develop#13(::Symbol, ::Bool, ::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::Function, ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:58
 [5] #add_or_develop at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [6] #add_or_develop#12 at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:29 [inlined]
 [7] #add_or_develop at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [8] #add_or_develop#11(::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Symbol,Symbol,Tuple{Symbol},NamedTuple{(:mode,),Tuple{Symbol}}}, ::Function, ::Array{String,1}) at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:28
 [9] #add_or_develop at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [10] #add_or_develop#10 at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:27 [inlined]
 [11] #add_or_develop at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [12] #add#18 at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:68 [inlined]
 [13] add(::String) at /opt/julia-1.0.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:68
 [14] top-level scope at In[2]:1

PeriodicTable is even a registered package. How do I add it?

No one? Seems like a pretty basic thing to me. Or am I the only one observing this?

Same happens for BenchmarkTools …

running this in a notebook works well for me (JuliaBox, Julia 1.0.0)

pkg"add BenchmarkTools"

/Paul S

Thanks!

However, this

• still doesn’t work for, say, PeriodicTable.jl
  • doesn’t seem to be what most people will try

What OS, firewall and proxy details MIGHT get more response.

I am on Windows behind and authenticated proxy and will get a request for credentials naming a destination (not the proxy) sometimes if my settings are incorrect.

Still having trouble with python pip and Julia, though PowerShell (direct) and Git both work with my current (complex) settings.

I’m talking about JuliaBox. Not a local julia installation.

Hi Carsten

• For now, use pkg"add Package" or using Pkg; Pkg.add("Package") to install packages. There is a bug in using the REPL mode ], which we will fix hopefully soon.

• We currently limit the packages that we support on 1.0 for Juliabox. Our experience has been that package instability has been the cause of the majority of support issues on Juliabox. Thus, for now, the list of packages are limited to a subset. We will expand the soon, and maybe provide a way to switch out of the limited set, but that’s not ready yet.

Regards

Avik

Ok. Thanks for the info!