Julia-vscode on MacOs vs Windows

When I execute file (F5 or Command Palette>Julia: Execute File) on MacOS - REPL terminal shows me all code I’ve written - evaluates and shows all lines

But on Windows 10 the same terminal acts like C++ terminal - It evaluates but doesn’t shows

It’s important for me, because it is easier to learn language.
Can I solve this problem/task?

Can you check the version of the julia extension on the two systems? They should behave in the same way, but we did change that behavior in a recently released version, so maybe one of your systems is stuck on an old extension version?

Julia version on my PC 1.1.1 and vscode Julia extension 0.12.3
On my MacOs High Sierra(10.13.6) Julia-1.2 and vscode Julia extension 0.11.6 because 0.12 is broken on my Mac, but I don’t care 0.11.6 works very well.

Ah, that explains it, we changed the behavior in v0.12!

In what sense is version 0.12 broken on Mac, that shouldn’t be the case!

Can you tell me what you mean about behavior ? and what you mean about “the same way” ? - The terminal in the first picture behaves in the wrong way or vice versa …

We changed how code is executed in v0.12, in particular code is not echoed if you run a file in v0.12, but it was in previous versions.

Dito, if you want to see each line of the code as it executes you can always send them to the REPL individually (e.g. Ctrl-Eenter)

1 Like

I was wondering why the code is not echoed when I send a block of code? I see only the output which is not fortunate I would say. Can I change it?

It is more understandable if you run a file to not echo commands but what is the difference between execution of for loop or if blocks and execution a line of println? Thanks for clarification.

1 Like

I’m unsure whether we should echo code or not, right now we don’t because of this line :slight_smile: Maybe we should just echo by default… The only worry I have is that we should probably just visually try to distinguish the echoed code from normal output. Maybe a different color or something?

Do you mind opening an issue for this over at the repo where we could discuss options?

1 Like

Ok, I did open an issue. Execute code block: echo in terminal needed or not · Issue #1007 · julia-vscode/julia-vscode · GitHub

2 Likes