Julia v1.8.0-beta3 and v1.6.6 LTS are now available

The Julia developers are pleased to announce two new releases: v1.6.6, the sixth patch release in the 1.6 LTS series, and v1.8.0-beta3, the third beta version for the upcoming 1.8 stable series. You can download binaries at https://julialang.org/downloads in the “upcoming release” section for 1.8.0-beta3 and the “long-term support” section for 1.6.6. Binaries are available for the same set of platforms for the two versions except where noted, listed here by support tier:

• Tier 1:
    • Linux x86_64 (glibc)
    • Linux i686 (glibc)
    • macOS x86_64 (Intel or Rosetta)
    • Window x86_64
  • Tier 2:
    • FreeBSD x86_64
    • Linux AArch64 (glibc)
    • Windows i686
  • Tier 3:
    • Linux x86_64 (musl)
    • Linux ARMv7 (glibc) - 1.6.6 only
    • macOS AArch64 (M-series) - 1.8.0-beta3 only

As a patch release, 1.6.6 contains no new features or breaking changes, only bug fixes, documentation improvements, and performance improvements. You can see the list of commits included since 1.6.5 here. We recommend that anyone currently using an earlier 1.6 version upgrade to 1.6.6.

As a beta version, 1.8.0-beta3 should not be considered production-ready. Rather, it’s intended to give users, especially package developers, a chance to try out their code with 1.8.0 prior to a full release. Check out the NEWS file to see what will be new in 1.8.0 and see here for a list of commits included since the previous beta release. (Wondering where beta2 went? We were unfortunately unable to produce binaries due to infrastructure issues that were fixed for beta3.)

Note that 1.6 and 1.8 on Travis, AppVeyor, and Cirrus now refer to 1.6.6 and 1.8.0-beta3, respectively. On GitHub Actions, use 1.6 for 1.6.6 but ~1.8.0-0 for 1.8.0-beta3.

Let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues. Please note that any bugs you may encounter should be posted there rather than being discussed in this thread to ensure visibility to the developers.

45 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Package load time regressions in v1.8-beta3

2 posts were split to a new topic: Malloc error with Model(Cbc.Optimizer) on v1.8.0-beta3 and M1

Congratulations on the new release!

I’m currently using Julia v1.7.1. Relatively speaking, is v1.6.6LTS an upgrade over v1.7.1?

Thanks!

No, you should keep using 1.7.1 and upgrade to 1.8.0 when it’s released.

1 Like

Perhaps upgrade to 1.7.2 ?

1 Like

Whatever the latest stable release is, use that. And yes, I think you’re right that’s 1.7.2 at the moment.

1 Like

Many thanks for the replies! I’ll upgrade to v1.7.2 stable release then.

2 Likes