Julia v1.8.0-beta1 is now available

The Julia developers are pleased to announce that Julia v1.8.0 is now in beta. You can download binaries for the first beta release, v1.8.0-beta1, at https://julialang.org/downloads in the “upcoming release” section. Check out the NEWS file to see what will be new in 1.8.0. Binaries are available for the following platforms, listed here by support tier:

• Tier 1:
    • macOS x86_64 (Intel or Rosetta)
    • Window x86_64
    • Linux x86_64 (glibc)
    • Linux i686 (glibc)
  • Tier 2:
    • FreeBSD x86_64
    • Windows i686
    • Linux AArch64 (glibc)
  • Tier 3:
    • macOS AArch64 (M-series)
    • Linux x86_64 (musl)

As a beta version, this should not be considered production-ready. Rather, it’s intended to give users, especially package developers, a chance to try out their code with 1.8.0 prior to a full release. Note that 1.8 on Travis, AppVeyor, and Cirrus now refers to 1.8.0-beta1. On GitHub Actions, use ~1.8.0-0.

Let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues. Please note that any bugs you may encounter should be posted there rather than being discussed in this thread to ensure visibility to the developers.

64 Likes

Curious why M series is still Tier 3 ? Any prospect of full native support in the near future?

3 Likes

Quoting from Download Julia

Tier 1: Julia is guaranteed to build from source and pass all tests on these platforms when built with the default options. Official binaries are always available and CI is run on every commit to ensure support is actively maintained.

Tier 3: Julia may or may not build. If it does, it is unlikely to pass tests. Binaries may be available in some cases. When they are, they should be considered experimental. Ongoing support is dependent on community efforts.

In particular, at the moment there is no CI at all for this platform, so it can’t qualify for Tier 1.

4 Likes

Module(:name, false, false) can be used to create a module that contains no names (it does not import Base or Core and does not contain a reference to itself) ([#40110, #42154]).

is missing hyperlink

I know - hence my question.

They need to have the hardware to use it for CI, perhaps that is the issue.

How much would the hardware for CI cost? Is GoFundMe a possibility?

based on the “old thread” … it is not a hardware problem.
“M1 boxes may already be in the availability of the developers,”

I was only speculating. It seems the linked thread has all of the necessary details.

2 Likes

Is this supported on juliaup? I did juliaup add beta but it seems to point at the 1.7 release?

1 Like

Do juliaup self update first. It should work after this

4 Likes

Pretty minor point but, it would be nice to have links to release notes on the Download Julia page.

Looking forward to checking out the new features!

5 Likes

The link “tiers of support” on the download page that, I guess, would have lead to a page explaining the meaning of the various tiers, is broken…

Well, the explanation is on the same page a in the next section.

Can you open an issue on https://github.com/JuliaLang/www.julialang.org to report the broken link?

1 Like

Can beta releases start making their way to the official Julia docs? There’s always a gap between the current stable version and the dev versions - so right now there’s 1.7.2 then 1.9-dev. I know there’s a news.md file on GitHub with some info but having this in a central location seems best.

2 Likes