Julia v1.3.0 has been released

At long last, the Julia developers are pleased to announce the release of Julia v1.3.0, the third minor release in the 1.x series. Binaries are available for all of your favorite platforms (Linux, Windows, macOS, and FreeBSD) at Download Julia.

As a minor release, v1.3.0 contains no breaking changes, only new features, performance improvements, and marginal, undisruptive changes in behavior. The best reference for the changes in 1.3 is the NEWS file for 1.3.0. There have also been a couple of blog posts highlighting some exciting new features in 1.3, including multithreading and Pkg artifacts.

Note that 1.3, like 1.2 and 1.1 before it, does not have long term support. As of this release, 1.2 has been effectively superseded by 1.3, which means there will not likely be any further 1.2.x releases. Julia 1.0 is still currently the only long term support version.

We encourage everyone to give it a try. Packages can test with 1.3.0 on CI by specifying 1.3 on Travis, AppVeyor (with Appveyor.jl), and Cirrus (with CirrusCI.jl). As always, let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues.

Happy coding!

100 Likes

That’s since been fixed. Refreshing the page should work.

1 Like

Attempting to download OSX version gives:

<Error>
<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>
<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>
<Key>bin/mac/x64/1.2/julia-1.3.0-mac64.dmg</Key>
<RequestId>6EC5EA27C5506E13</RequestId>
<HostId>
5AQAuD6H4RdNt1IVyb+Y+t2e9uhVsLhg/aWGCar7fsJzbY7gpj8s+9mJKAaqs1oHn5i8aHj8TB0=
</HostId>
</Error>

Did refresh the page a number of times.

You may need to clear your browser cache. I’ve verified that the website links are all now pointing to the right place.

1 Like

The bleeding edge branch jl in julia-install (link to jl branch) should now build Julia 1.3.0:

$ sudo bin/julia-install julia 1.3.0
1 Like

How can we transfer the list of installed packages in v1.2 into v1.3?

In your ~/.julia/environments folder there’s a v1.2 (or whatever version you are on) folder containing the Project.toml file, this is the list of installed packages (iirc the Manifest.toml includes installed dependencies, etc). You can copy/rename that folder to v1.3 and in julia repl do ]instantiate

4 Likes

There is no need to instantiate. All packages are already installed. It’s just the default environment that has changed.

Just to be sure (and not to alarm anyone; it’s probably nothing): my virus scanner tripped up a bit, as though it was treating the installer as suspicious. What can you tell me about it? It never happened before with previous Julia installations.

(I did verify the files.)

Thanks for the comment! Some package/dependencie may require specific julia versions so after a julia version update, the packages’ version may need to be changed, therefore it might be better to just copy over the Project.toml and use ]instantiate to build the Manifest.toml? maybe ]up should be enough…

3 Likes

If this is on Windows … uninstall your AV. I mean it. Windows Defender is as good (better) or bad as any other and far less intrusive.

6 Likes

I am going to celebrate by posting the

( For Mac and Linux version of Julia )

Note that if you want to keep the same packages as in 1.2 you 
can copy (or rename if you are no longer using julia 1.2) 
the .julia/environments/v1.2 folder to .julia/environments/v1.3

$ cd ~/.julia
$ cd environments/
$ ls
v1.2
$ cp -rp v1.2 v1.3
$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  4 ssiew  staff  136 18 Aug  2018 v1.2
drwxr-xr-x  4 ssiew  staff  136 18 Aug  2018 v1.3

instructions shamelessly copied from instructions shamelessly copied from instructions shamelessly copied from Julia 1.0

6 Likes

How to get julia on the commandline to run julia-1.3 on a Mac

On a mac this is the easiest way

from https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introducing_Julia/Getting_started

A different approach is to create a link to the executable and put it into the /usr/local/bin directory (which should already be in your path), so that typing julia is the exact equivalent of typing /Applications/Julia/.../julia . This command does that:

ln -fs “/Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia” /usr/local/bin/julia

replace “Julia-1.0” with the version of Julia you wish to run

COPIED FROM AN OLDER POST BELOW

Probably the easiest way is to issue a similar command like the one below in the MacOS terminal

ln -fs "/Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia" /usr/local/bin/julia

Remember I said SIMILAR, you need to double check the location of julia first in the /Application folder

This is what I have on my Mac

$ cd /usr/local/bin
$ which julia
/usr/local/bin/julia
$ ls -l julia*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 18 Nov 12:07 julia -> /Applications/Julia-1.3.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 22 Sep  2018 julia06 -> /Applications/Julia-0.6.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 22 Sep  2018 julia07 -> /Applications/Julia-0.7.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 13 Apr  2019 julia10 -> /Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 23 Aug 18:41 julia11 -> /Applications/Julia-1.1.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 23 Aug 18:42 julia12 -> /Applications/Julia-1.2.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 18 Nov 12:06 julia13 -> /Applications/Julia-1.3.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
$ set | grep NUM
JULIA_NUM_THREADS=8

$ cat julia_1.3_multithread_celebration.jl
using Base.Threads

Threads.@threads for n in 1:10
    println("Thread ",Threads.threadid()," celebrates the release of Julia-1.3")
end

$ julia julia_1.3_multithread_celebration.jl 
Thread 1 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 5 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 2 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 1 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 3 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 7 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 2 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 6 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 4 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
Thread 8 celebrates the release of Julia-1.3
12 Likes

when will the 1.3 version make it to Fedora 31?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: PARTR support for BLAS

I’m having difficulty with both a new install of v1.3.0 and upgrading from v1.1.0. In both cases the problem seems to be with OpenSpecFun(). In teh latter case I’m getting:

(v1.3) pkg> update
  Updating registry at `~/.julia/registries/General`
  Updating git-repo `https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git`
 Resolving package versions...
 Installed Plots ─ v0.28.0
┌ Error: Tree Hash Mismatch!
│   Expected git-tree-sha1:   d322d52dbe634d659d67312eea8a78c16112127e
│   Calculated git-tree-sha1: 0aee4fdfd24ee5162c06e2507d82c11a8f6a9ad2
â”” @ Pkg.Artifacts /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Artifacts.jl:724
ERROR: Unable to automatically install 'OpenSpecFun' from '/home/healyp/.julia/packages/OpenSpecFun_jll/XrUb6/Artifacts.toml'
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33
 [2] #ensure_artifact_installed#42(::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Linux, ::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.Artifacts.ensure_artifact_installed), ::String, ::Dict{String,Any}, ::String) at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Artifacts.jl:810

Any thoughts on a workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Can you report that issue to GitHub - JuliaPackaging/BinaryBuilder.jl: Binary Dependency Builder for Julia ? (Might be a Pkg bug though; not sure).

1 Like

Can you also please provide versioninfo() output?

For the workaround you should be able to pin SpecialFunctions.jl to the previous version, but I can’t check the version number right now

1 Like

You’ll have to ask the Fedora people about that.

2 Likes