Julia 1.0.3 is now available

The third patch release for the Julia 1.0 series of releases, version 1.0.3, has now been released! As a patch release, 1.0.3 introduces no new features or breaking changes; it contains only bug fixes, documentation updates, and performance improvements. Thus we recommend anyone currently using previous 1.0.x releases to upgrade to 1.0.3. You can see the list of changes included since the previous version here.

As usual, binaries are available on Download Julia. We have them for Linux i686 and x86-64; FreeBSD x86-64; macOS; Windows 32- and 64-bit; for the first time since 0.6, Linux AArch64; and, for the the first time since 1.0.0, Linux ARMv7!

Note that 1.0 on Travis and AppVeyor (using the Appveyor.jl setup) now uses 1.0.3.

Enjoy!

28 Likes

Could you please establish a convention of having the folder in the source release be either julia or julia-$version and stick to it? Not a big deal, but switching back and forth between the two does create just the tiniest bit of extra friction for packaging Julia.

4 Likes

Where are you seeing a differently named folder? At least on x86-64 Linux and FreeBSD, the folder inside of the tarball is julia-1.0.3 as intended. As a general rule, the folder is julia-version for releases and julia-sha for all other builds, so it would be good to know if some platform is violating that.

2 Likes

This current release does have julia-1.0.3. I believe all of 1.0.0, 1.0.1, and 1.0.2 had just a julia folder inside the source tarball; previously, 0.6.4 and 0.6.3 had julia-version as described. For example with just the julia folder, see julia-1.0.2.tar.gz 5.8 MB .

1 Like

Oh, the source tarballs are a different story; as far as I know, the directory name there should (or at least is supposed to) always just be julia.

Okay. :slight_smile: Like I said, just a friendly request to keep it consistent one way or the other in the future since 1.03 did have the version suffix where previous 1.0.x series releases didn’t.

1 Like

It was julia until 1.0.3, where it was named julia-1.0.3 like it was once during the 0.6 era I think.

Good news, folks: ARMv7 binaries are now available for 1.0.3! Get 'em while they’re hot (or whenever you want, really) at Download Julia.

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing Linux AArch64 back!

Are there any plans to establish an integrated Julia upgrade command, at least for minor version changes?

That would be very conveniant for companies where software is typically packaged by an IT department. It is quite challenging to have a new version packaged every month :wink:

Anyhow, thanks for updating Julia so frequently!
:+1:

2 Likes

I guess IT departments package software when they don’t want users to install it themselves. Wouldn’t a built-in self-update require the same privileges as just downloading and extracting a new version?

If the tarball is called julia-1.0.3.tar.gz, extracting to a folder called julia-1.0.3 is nearly universal among open source projects (or at least those that use autotools). While I agree that the behavior should ideally not change from release to release, I believe this change is for the better (more consistent with other packages) and therefore worth keeping going forward. It also allows people to unpack various source versions of julia into the same directory easily.

What’s the advantage compared to cloning the git repo and just checking out the version?

I would imagine that the only people who just need the source without git are those packaging Julia for repositories, and hopefully they are working in some isolated environment already, cleaning up after the whole thing is done.

Me too. This is indeed the “usual” format.

1 Like

It would help lazy user like me, too :grin:

Could someone provide instructions on how to update Julia (for those that do not know how these kinds of thing works)? I have my .julia folder on my computer. The page seems to contain stuff to just download Julia directly, and instructions for installing it, which I do not want to do. I’m afraid I will start doing stuff and I suddenly have 2 version of Julia on my computer. E.g. right now I have a .julia folder with several packages installed, and another few in the “dev” folder. I would not want to have to re download all of these.

Basically it would be useful if someone wrote some careful instructions about these for us that are not very good with these kinds of things (those who might understand very well the logic and syntax in how to make a computer program do things, but have little experience in general computer stuff).

(This is all for ubuntu 16, but I presume there would be people interested in other os as well)

You shouldn’t have to touch anything in .julia. Just unpack the tarball and you are good to go!

Thanks.
I tried downloading one of the linux links, which gives me a folder named julia 1.0.3. But I presume I have to do more than that.

I do no know what a tarball is. Searching online suggests that that tarball is several files compressed as a tar file. At the end of the download grid there is 2 files denoted as tarballs. However, for both I can click on the tarball text, or on the (CPG) within parenthesis after. Which one should I take? Also, is it the Tarball or the Tarball with dependencies I am looking for (or the GitHub link after those 2)? These also does not seem to have anything to do with Operating System, which is confusing since above there are files for all types of OS, what is the difference?
Cheers

Take the first one. The second is the GPG code, which you can verify if you want to check that the software is not corrupted and is digitally signed by the Julia organization.

You can just right click and extract here on the tarball in Ubuntu.

You want the line Generic Linux Binaries for x86. The tarball with dependencies is for the source code, which you don’t need.

Wait take that again, do I or do I not need to get the tarball thing? I just want to update to Julia 1.0.3 and nothing else (honestly I am not sure I even want that, but I feel not having an idea how to do it is a bad reason to skip out…).

I can download the Generic Linux Binaries for x86, however, different things happens whenever I click on the 32-bit and 64 bit one (the former giving me a folder, the second a compressed file). I think I should have the 64-bit one (seems to be the rule these days). When I open the file there is a folder in, named “julia-1.0.3”. What am I supposed to do with this folder? I have a “julia-1.0.0” folder in my home directory. Would dropping the new folder there suffice, but how would Julia tell that there is a new folder there and which to use? Would I be able to delete the old “julia-1.0.0” folder (I presume so), and more interesting, will I be able to delete this new folder after I do something with it? I am reluctant to build up a lot of julia folders on my computer as I update the language.

I am sorry not being able to understand this, but if you do not have any idea of how these kinds of things work it is not easy, and I am afraid to mess something up and get a lot of new problems I have even less an idea of how to solve (have happened before).