Julia v1.1.0 has been released

The Julia developers are pleased to announce the release of Julia v1.1.0. Binaries are available on Download Julia for Linux (i686 and x86-64), Windows (32- and 64-bit), macOS, and FreeBSD (x86-64).

Julia v1.1.0 is the first minor release in the 1.x series of releases after 1.0. As a minor release, it contains no breaking changes, only new features, performance improvements, and marginal, undisruptive changes in behavior. The largest difference between 1.1 and 1.0 is that 1.0 will have longer-term support and that 1.1 contains new features that 1.0 does not have. The most useful reference for the changes in 1.1 is the NEWS file file for 1.1.0.

Note that 1.1 on Travis, AppVeyor (using Appveyor.jl), and Cirrus (using CirrusCI.jl) now refers to v1.1.0. We encourage everyone to give it a try. As always, let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues.

Enjoy!

72 Likes

I am currently on Julia v1.0.3

Can someone please advise me if there will ever be a Julia v1.0.4

If not, then there is no reason not to upgrade to Julia v1.1.0

Regards
Steven Siew

In general, there is no reason not to upgrade to v1.1.0, except in the very unlikely case that a “minor change” breaks something for you, possibly in an unregistered package. See

Note that if you want to keep the same packages as in 1.0 you can copy (or rename if you are no longer using julia 1.0) the .julia/environments/v1.0 folder to .julia/environments/v1.1.

22 Likes

Will the copied packages be compatible and run directly, as is? Or will we need to rebuild them or change some settings?

1 Like

I think they need to be rebuilt and recompiled.

1 Like

Vast majority will just work. They will be precompiled again though when importing them.

1 Like

great work! thanks~

Since the 1.0 series of releases will have longer-term support, we do intend to continue backporting bugfixes. In fact, there is already a pull request with backports to make a 1.0.4 release.

Whether to upgrade depends on the risk tolerance of your use of Julia. Long-term support releases are intended to be the ultimate in stability, whereas 1.1 contains minor changes in behavior that were determined not to adversely affect packages. As with most things, there is a trade-off to be made, but the risk of updating to 1.1 should still be quite low.

11 Likes

I just noticed that the binaries for 1.0.2 have been taken off of Download Julia. Are these still available somewhere? Edit: Found it.

Unfortunately, 1.0.3 caused major problems with our companies code base that continue in the 1.1 release. This was reported by someone else here, although work today is making me think this is actually larger issue (I’m still working on putting together a simple example of the issues I’ve encountered today).

Has anyone had any success running large distributed jobs since julia 1.0.2?

7 posts were split to a new topic: Are the Julia binaries GPL-free?

I uninstalled Julia 1.0.3 + Juno (on Windows 10), reinstalled them, and updated the Julia packages.

I then run IJulia from the Julia 1.1.0 prompt. If I try to create a new Jupyter notebook, the browser (Firefox) doesn’t find Julia 1.1.0 as a kernel – only Julia 1.0.3.

Do I need to uninstall the packages and re-install them in order for IJulia to find the Julia 1.1.0 kernel?

pkg> build IJulia should do the trick and register the 1.1.0 kernel

3 Likes

Thanks, nilshg – that did the trick.

1 Like

I just updated Julia on my home computer to Julia 1.1.0. After build-ing IJulia, it starts, but when I run a cell (Ctrl+Return), a new cell is not created, and I have to insert it manually.

How do I change IJulia such that new cells are created automatically? Any idea?

Should be Shift-return instead of ctrl-return

1 Like

@BLI, @dpsanders
Just tried in a Jupyter Notebook:
Shift-Return is execute cell and move to next cell
Crtl-Return is execute cell and stay in cell
Alt-Return is execute cell and create new cell below

Thanks… I tend to do these things “automatically” without thinking, and my brain must have decoupled when I was sitting in my recliner with my 55" TV as monitor instead of sitting at my work desk…

juius – thanks for list of possibilities:

• Ctrl-Return: execute and stay in cell (execute, and stay in Controlled “environment”/cell)
  • Shift+Return: execute and Shift to next cell (create new cell if there is no next cell)
  • Alt+Return: execute, and as an Alternative create new cell and shift to that cell.

I guess I need rules like these to remember things before my brain gets programmed…

Could it be the default?

Discussion in https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/28631 is relevant

2 Likes