Julia 1.0.1 testing period

Hi folks!

Julia’s release-1.0 branch now contains the set of commits we’re planning to call v1.0.1. You can view the list of commits here. As a patch release, this should be strictly non-breaking for existing code and should introduce no features, only bugfixes.

We invite users and especially package authors to test their code with a source build of the release-1.0 branch to ensure that there are no changes in behavior aside from bugs being fixed. We plan to move forward with a 1.0.1 release after a few days, so let us know on GitHub by submitting an issue if you run into anything fishy. A package evaluation run showed no regressions in packages, so we’re likely all good here, but it’s always worthwhile to have more testing and assurance, especially for patch releases.

Thanks!

32 Likes

Binaries available? Or only source builds?

2 Likes

For the prerelease there are no source builds yet but we could probably build some.

1 Like

Would be very nice. I stopped building from source locally, as i saw many times a complete LLVM build which stops my box for hours…

You can set USE_BINARYBUILDER_LLVM in Make.user which will just download a built llvm.

7 Likes

Is there a way to use this version on CI, eg Travis?

2 Likes

Where was this documented?

It probably isn’t, but would be good to add a note on this in the README. Was implemented in https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/26925.

also don’t forget to add a BINARYBUILDER_TRIPLET=x86_64-apple-darwin14, where x86_64-apple-darwin14 is your system’s triplet.

1 Like

Is it planned for a Julia 0.7.1 to track the fixes in 1.0.x?

1 Like

targetting nightly in travis.yml fetched the following julia version:

Julia Version 1.0.1-pre.171
Commit 398d87829d (2018-09-26 22:52 UTC)

but I am not sure if this is the one mentioned above.

Can we just make that the default?

5 Likes

I’ve put `USE_BINARYBUILDER_LLVM=1’ in Make.user, but i get a failing build in

lobi@orange4:~/julia101$ make
/home/lobi/julia101/deps/llvm.mk:620: warning: overriding recipe for target '/home/lobi/julia101/usr-staging/llvm-6.0.0-6.tgz'
/home/lobi/julia101/deps/llvm.mk:616: warning: ignoring old recipe for target '/home/lobi/julia101/usr-staging/llvm-6.0.0-6.tgz'
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   385  100   385    0     0    527      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   527
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
/home/lobi/julia101/deps/llvm.mk:611: recipe for target 'scratch/llvm-6.0.0-6/LLVM..tar.gz' failed
make[1]: *** [scratch/llvm-6.0.0-6/LLVM..tar.gz] Error 22
Makefile:60: recipe for target 'julia-deps' failed
make: *** [julia-deps] Error 2
lobi@orange4:~/julia101$ 

issue?

I also had to set BINARYBUILDER_TRIPLET to make the download not fail, searching for it on github gives some of the different options https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/search?utf8=✓&q=BINARYBUILDER_TRIPLET. Also I did make cleanall and also in deps/, not sure though what did the trick eventually.