Julia User Group Munich: Share&Code on JuliaIntervals with David P. Sanders

Join us on :spiral_calendar: Monday 10. January 2022 :clock630: 18:30 CET
organized via meetup

Rigorous computation & uncertainty handling with JuliaIntervals
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Interval arithmetic is an alternative to floating point numbers. You calculate with intervals instead of numbers, and while floating point arithmetic only approximates your solution with inaccuracies, interval arithmetic gives you strong guarantees. When you need rigorous computations, i.e. deal with numerical approximation errors or uncertainty in your model, interval arithmetic comes to help you.

I am glad to welcome David P. Sanders as our speaker, the main contributor and maintainer of the whole JuliaIntervals ecosystem, with IntervalArithmetic.jl and more. He will give an introduction and is eager to answer all your questions. No prior knowledge of interval arithmetic is needed.

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉AGENDA┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉
:clock630: 18:30 - 19:30: David P. Sanders: Introduction to the JuliaIntervals suite of packages for calculating using sets

— Details by David P. Sanders —
I will give an introduction to the suite of packages in the JuliaIntervals organisation, which provide tools for performing numerical calculations with sets of values. These packages are based on interval arithmetic, which allows us to calculate f(x) for all values x within an interval, e.g. for all real numbers between, say, 3 and 4, in a single operation, thus computing the range of the function over that input set.

This leads to many interesting algorithms, for example to find sets that satisfy given constraints, to find all solutions of a set of nonlinear equations, to find – and guarantee that you have found – the global minimum of a function, and to find a tube containing the solution of a differential equation.

No prior knowledge of interval arithmetic will be necessary to follow this talk!

:clock9: 19:30 - open end: Time for further discussion
┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

The event is going to be online. The link will be made available 10 min before the actual start. Please join 5 min ahead, the session is going to start on-time, :spiral_calendar: 10. January 2022, Monday :clock630: 18:30 CET.

Looking forward to see you all,
best,
Stephan Sahm

sponsored by JuliaPerformance www.juliaperformance.com

5 Likes

Dear Julia enthusiasts,

Looking forward to see you all today evening 18:30 CET for a Share&Code session on JuliaIntervals and rigorous error handling with David P. Sanders.

till 18:30 CET,
best,
Stephan Sahm

3 Likes

The event is online, starting in a few minutes

please join us via google meet (all standard browsers are supported)

1 Like

Thank you all for your interest in JuliaIntervals.
Special thanks to @dpsanders .

The recording is uploaded to JuliaIntervals | David P. Sanders | Julia User Group Munich - Share&Code - YouTube

enjoy

5 Likes

I totally missed that, thanks for the upload!

Btw. the content is marked as “made for kids”. I think that’s not a good idea because there are many limitations, e.g. one cannot add the video to a playlist. The reason is that YouTube was forced to treat every viewer of a video flagged as “made for kids” as a “kid” and collecting personal data for kids (children under 13 years) is prohibited. Saving the video in a list (“watch later”, or whatever playlist) is considered personal data, therefore you are not allowed to do it.

1 Like

thank you very much for the hint about “made for kids”

the setting is now changed everywhere to “not made for kids”

2 Likes