bitstype	  for		none		type
block		  function	parameters	typealias
call		  global	primitive		typed_comprehension
catch		  if		quote		typed_hcat
cell1d		  kw		ref		        typed_vcat
comparison	  line	return		vect
const		  local	row		        where
curly		  macro	string	

which of these are officially designated as Julia Reserved Words?
Would it be possible to add the official list of reserved words to the Julia documentation?

1 Like

which of these are officially designated as Julia Reserved Words

Very few. I’m not sure how you came up with that list; it seems pretty random to me. There is a list of reserved words in the scheme global variable reserved-words.

As I indicated, I looked at the source code file for the Julia parser (julia-parser.scm) and searched for all “hard coded” strings that start with a single quote such as 'if, 'quote, 'end, 'type, etc. (I may even have missed a few). The list contains words like 'try, 'catch, 'finally; 'mutable, 'type; 'true, 'false; macro, etc.; all of which I assume are words reserved for the Julia language.

At the other hand, I take it that “hard coded” strings like '@doc_str, cell1d, typed_hcat do not fall in the category of reserved words. I am also able to define both
const where = 1
f(x::T, y::T) where {T<:Number = …
in the same program without Julia complaining.
Hence my question: what is the official list of reserved keywords. (for proper highlighting of Julia syntax in my editor)

I looked at the variables initial-reserved-words and reserved-words in the same source file (totally missed that the first time :blush:
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for pointing me to those variables. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just in case somebody is looking for the definition in the future:

initial-reserved-words:

begin while if for try return break continue
function macro quote let local global const do
struct
abstract typealias bitstype type immutable  #to be deprecated
module baremodule using import export importall

reserved-words:

end else catch finally true false # todo: make this more complete
1 Like