Julia Language Server and VSCode Issue on HPC

Hello,

I am having some issues with the language server. I’ll describe what I am trying to do first.

I am getting my development environment set up on a new cluster. I want to be able to use the Julia Extension via VSCode remote development.

I am using Julia 1.8.0, VScode version 1.80.1 and Julia Extension version 1.47.2.

I was able to SSH into the cluster, clone my git repo for development, and instantiate it. Note I had to instantiate it on a compute node and not a login node because of limitations on number of cores the login node allows you to use (I could have set precompilation tasks to 1 but that would have taken ages).

When I start Vscode though the Julia language server crashes. I looked in the output and I see the following.

Activating project at `~/.vscode-server/extensions/julialang.language-julia-1.47.2/scripts/environments/languageserver/v1.8`
[ Info: Starting the Julia Language Server
OpenBLAS blas_thread_init: pthread_create failed for thread 156 of 256: Resource temporarily unavailable

The message about OpenBLAS blas_thread_init repeats until it is 255 of 256.

Then a fairy long stack trace is given with the following at the top:

ERROR: LoadError: IOError: could not spawn `MY/PROJECT/PATH/julia-1.8.0/bin/julia -Cnative -MY/PROJECT/PATH/julia-1.8.0/lib/julia/sys.so -O0 -g1 --startup-file=no -O0 --output-ji MY/PROJECT/PATH/.vscode-server/data/User/globalStorage/julialang.language-julia/lsdepot/v1/compiled/v1.8/Compat/jl_CDFTIb --output-incremental=yes --startup-file=no --history-file=no --warn-overwrite=yes --color=auto -`: resource temporarily unavailable (EAGAIN)

Which is followed by this message

The Language Server failed to precompile.
Please make sure you have permissions to write to the LS depot path at
MY/PROJECT/PATH/.vscode-server/data/User/globalStorage/julialang.language-julia/lsdepot/v1

I made sure that the directory v1 is read and writable for users, groups, and other and I still get the same error.

Any clues on what might be causing this or how to resolve it?

I had a similar experience in

Could you check the result of ulimit -a? Could you also try a recent Julia version (1.9.0+)?

Here is what I get when doing ulimit -a on the login node.

max user processes              (-u) 1028898

I will give 1.9 a try later tonight.

I couldn’t wait lol.

1.9.2 seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like