Julia development on Qualcomm Snapdragon for Windows

As many of you may know, Microsoft recently started selling Surface Pro 11 and Surface Laptop 7 with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chips as well as other companies such as Dell, etc. Currently, the Julia system is supported for only Intel chips (x86-64; i686) under Windows. I am wondering whether there is some plan to support those new ARM platforms. I remember that the genuine Julia system was not supported when Apple initially introduced MacBooks with their own ARM chips and it took some time to support their M series chips. I am curious when the Snapdragon-based Julia will become available if any.

When someone motivated and interested on this platform will have completed the port. At the moment there’s no one in sight with these requirements, until then the expected timeline is never.

1 Like

Just to be clear, Julia on Snapdragon is supported under Linux. I’m running it on my Android phone right now.

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.10.0
Commit 3120989f39b (2023-12-25 18:01 UTC)
Build Info:
  Official https://julialang.org/ release
Platform Info:
  CPU: 6 × Cortex-A55
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-15.0.7 (ORCJIT, cortex-a55)
  Threads: 1 on 8 virtual cores

julia> run(`cpu-info`)
Packages:
        0: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8350
Microarchitectures:
        3x Cortex-A78
        1x unknown
        4x Cortex-A55

Support for Windows on Snapdragon brings several challenges.

The environment I would attempt this in would be
MSYS2’s clangarm64:

This would require us to use the newer UCRT C library. That is a transition we need to eventually make.

1 Like