Julia Client - Internal Error


#1

Hi,

I have been trying to install Julia Pro on my Mac (Version 10.12.6) I am new to Julia and I have tried everything I could think of but everytime I open a file in Atom julia starts doing something, even if I just click inside an open file, not wanting to run anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the new and an older release and I get the same error. Below is the output of the error message which seems getting longer and more repetitive (I’m not even sure I copy pasted the whole thing).

Thank you for your help.

StackOverflowError:
in unshare_linfo!(::LambdaInfo) at inference.jl:1457
in unshare_linfo!(::LambdaInfo) at sys.dylib:?
in typeinf_edge(::Method, ::Any, ::SimpleVector, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::LambdaInfo) at inference.jl:1577
in typeinf_ext(::LambdaInfo) at inference.jl:1621
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:681
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]
in filemodule_(::String) at module.jl:158
in get!(::CodeTools.##2#4{Tuple{String},CodeTools.#filemodule_}, ::Dict{Any,Any}, ::Tuple{String}) at dict.jl:672
in macro expansion at dict.jl:690 [inlined]
in #1 at utils.jl:5 [inlined]


#2

Do you happen to work in a file that has circular includes? Also maybe try Pkg.checkout("CodeTools") just in case.


#3

Hello, thank you for your answer! I have a bunch of includes in the main, it seems to be working now if I don’t provide the full path to my files, but just include them as they are in the same folder as my main.

I hope this was the problem and that it doesn’t show up again… I have also tried the Pkg.checkout(“CodeTools”) which gives me the following warning WARNING: CodeTools is fixed at 0.4.7+ conflicting with top-level requirement: [0.4.6,0.4.6+). Do you think this needs to be fixed (and if so, if you could tell me how, that would be great!)?

Have a nice day and thanks again


#4

What does Pkg.status("CodeTools") say? I have no idea why that warning is printed, since afaik no package depends on CodeTools except for Atom, which doesn’t specifiy any version bounds.


#5

When I type Pkg.status(“CodeTools”) i get the following:

  • CodeTools 0.4.7+ master

and nothing else.
Also, I wonder what it is that is running when I just open a file that leads to the stack overflow. What is a circular include by the way? The thing is, when we do the same thing on the mac of my friend everything seems to be fine…

Cheers and thanks :slight_smile:


#6

Juno tries to figure out which module a given file belongs to by looking at include statements. If you have a bar.jl with include("foo.jl") and foo.jl containing include("bar.jl") following those includes will never terminate and result in a stack overflow.

We probably should handle that case though :slight_smile:

Would be great if you could run Pkg.free("CodeTools") and check if it still works (without changing your code).


#7

Hi there, it doesn’t work after freeing CodeTools… And I am checking now if it works again when I add it back, fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

And it does the same thing again, giving me this endless error list and a stackOverflow error when I just only click on a file.

So now when I move the folder somewhere else it seems to work again.