Julia 1.7 feature freeze: June 1

We’ve set the feature freeze date for Julia 1.7 to Monday, June 1st. If there are any feature PRs you’d like to get into Julia 1.7, they’ll need to be in prior to that date.

40 Likes

I wonder if someone could check this PR so that it would be in 1.7.

1 Like

Hi @ararslan

Is there any chance to resurrect the discussion about adding a break-line character to Julia or it is something that was already rejected?

I’m curious what this refers to?

Last time Triage considered this (in my memory), the syntax in question was #\ and that was deemed to be too brittle and unintuitive and yet still breaking for not a nice enough of a syntax.

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/35336#issuecomment-611704238

Note that Stefan says in that comment:

The main use case that’s currently unaddressed is array literals…

That’s now addressed (as of 3 hours ago).

Another case that’s unhandled is in string literals, but that’s also independently pending.

4 Likes

I think the first time I opened an issue about this is related to a way of breaking lines in arrays with very long lines:

A = [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ...

to something like

A = [ 1 2 3 #\
      4 5 6 #\
      7 8 9 #\

Yes, that’s now supported in Julia 1.7 with ;; (two semicolons because you’re moving along the second dimension).

julia> A = [ 1 2 3 ;;
             4 5 6 ;;
             7 8 9]
1×9 Matrix{Int64}:
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
4 Likes

Wow! That’s awesome! Sorry, I thought it would be only for arrays with more than 2 dimensions. Thanks for pointing this out :smiley:

2 Likes

The next time June 1st falls on a Monday is in 2026, so we have lots of time to get more features in! :wink:

12 Likes

Is 1.7 going to be the new LTS release?

The plan is still for 1.6 to be LTS, which will be formally announced when 1.7 is released. In general, we only announce a release as LTS once it’s been around for a while, since users who want an LTS don’t want a new release which still has bugs.

6 Likes