Julia 1.4.2 fails to include Plots package

Hi,
I am trying to do simple plots in julia. I wrote,
using Pkg
Pkg.add(“Plots”)
and it failed. It displayed some lenghty text about FFMEG artifacts in red colour.
How do I fix it?

How long was the message, approximately?

Just kidding :wink: Can you please copy paste the error message?

Btw. if you want to get help quickly and efficiently, check out this short introduction how to make it easier to help you: https://discourse.julialang.org/t/psa-make-it-easier-to-help-you

Its okay in linux but fails in windows 7. I will get error message shortly.

Version 1.4.2 (2020-05-23)

julia> using Pkg

julia> Pkg.add(“Plots”)
Updating registry at C:\Users\Adam\.julia\registries\General
Updating git-repo https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git
Resolving package versions…
Downloading artifact: FFMPEG
Exception setting “SecurityProtocol”: “Cannot convert null to type “System.Net.
SecurityProtocolType” due to invalid enumeration values. Specify one of the fol
lowing enumeration values and try again. The possible enumeration values are “S
sl3, Tls”.”
At line:1 char:35

• [System.Net.ServicePointManager]:: <<<< SecurityProtocol =
    • CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: , RuntimeException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyAssignmentException

Exception calling “DownloadFile” with “2” argument(s): “The underlying connecti
on was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.”
At line:7 char:24

• $webclient.DownloadFile <<<< (“https://github.com/JuliaBinaryWrappers/FFMPEG_
    jll.jl/releases/download/FFMPEG-v4.1.0+3/FFMPEG.v4.1.0.x86_64-w64-mingw32.tar.g
    z”, “C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_N7MVE21aPx-download.gz”)
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: , MethodInvocationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException
      ERROR: Unable to automatically install ‘FFMPEG’ from ‘C:\Users\Adam.julia\packa
      ges\FFMPEG_jll\tCUYA\Artifacts.toml’
      Stacktrace:
      [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
      [2] ensure_artifact_installed(::String, ::Dict{String,Any}, ::String; platform:
      :Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Platform, verbose::Bool, quiet_download::Bool) at D:\buildb
      ot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\Artifacts.jl:8
      [3] ensure_all_artifacts_installed(::String; platform::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Plat
      form, pkg_uuid::Nothing, include_lazy::Bool, verbose::Bool, quiet_download::Bool
      ) at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src
      Artifacts.jl:958
      [4] download_artifacts(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{String,1}; platform::Pkg.Bi
      naryPlatforms.Windows, verbose::Bool) at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build
      usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:616
      [5] download_artifacts(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}; p
      latform::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Windows, verbose::Bool) at D:\buildbot\worker\packa
      ge_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:595
      [6] add(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}, ::Array{Base.UUI
      D,1}; preserve::Pkg.Types.PreserveLevel, platform::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Windows)
      at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\Op
      erations.jl:1091
      [7] add(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}; preserve::Pkg.Ty
      pes.PreserveLevel, platform::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Windows, kwargs::Base.Iterators
      .Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}) at D:\buildbot\worker\pa
      ckage_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\API.jl:159
      [8] add(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at D:\buildbot\w
      orker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\API.jl:112
      [9] #add#27 at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1
      .4\Pkg\src\API.jl:109 [inlined]
      [10] add at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4
      Pkg\src\API.jl:109 [inlined]
      [11] #add#24 at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v
      1.4\Pkg\src\API.jl:107 [inlined]
      [12] add at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.4
      Pkg\src\API.jl:107 [inlined]
      [13] add(::String; kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTu
      ple{(),Tuple{}}}) at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdl
      ib\v1.4\Pkg\src\API.jl:106
      [14] add(::String) at D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\st
      dlib\v1.4\Pkg\src\API.jl:106
      [15] top-level scope at REPL[2]:1

julia>

The legend says that a man once managed to include Plots on the first try. I am yet to meet that man…

1 Like

Similar error happened when I typed
“”“using Pkg
Pkg.add(“Plots”)”“”
to install Plots packages.
Below are error codes:
“”" 使用“2”个参数调用“DownloadFile”时发生异常:“在 WebClient 请求期间发生异常。”
所在位置 行:7 字符: 1

ERROR: Unable to automatically install ‘FFMPEG’ from ‘C:\Users\41832.julia\packages\FFMPEG_jll\tCUYA\Artifacts.toml’“”"
I have searched solution to this problem on StackOverFlow and found nothing.

I was trying to install Plots package with Julia REPL but failed.
‘’‘Thanks for your suggestion’‘’