Iterative feedback and discussion on the pinned "make it easier to help you" topic

README or READ FIRST may be more effective

1 Like

As far as PSA vs READ ME vs …, there’s only so much shouting that’s effective (and I don’t really want to normalize it). It’s interesting to me that some see PSA as technical jargon; to me it’s a commercial, but perhaps that’s generational or regional? I’ll defer to @Tamas_Papp on a possible rename, but if we change it at all I’d lean towards something like “Please read: make it easier to help you.”

2 Likes

Non-native English speakers may not be familiar with commercial jargon either.

10 Likes

Yeah, I strongly doubt that this is widely known (or even slightly known) among non-native speakers. I only know it from this forum, and I also tend to forget the abbreviation when I want to search for a PSA topic.

Even if you spell it out, “public service announcement” sounds like some blahblah terms or eula, or the text on the back of a pack of toothpicks. You’re not going to read it.

It’s likely people just don’t know what it means or what kind of jargon it is.

6 Likes

Done.

That said, I am skeptical that it makes a whole lot of difference to whether it is read. I imagine that that “make it easier to help you” part should clarify what this is about.

15 Likes

What was wrong about Public Sisplay of Affection?

2 Likes

English as a Second Language speakers are likely to be unfamiliar with the term PSA - Public Service Announcement. Thanks to @Tamas_Papp for following through - these paper cuts compound over time.

3 Likes

Just a meta-programming note to all here — I’ve split this historical feedback from the actual pinned topic. Much of the feedback here has been addressed and/or incorporated into the top post.

We could close the pinned topic to new replies, but I’m inclined to keep it the way it is and just keep closer tabs on it — triaging and addressing new replies there by either continuing to split them into this topic or into other new topics as it makes sense. That way the pinned topic stays a bit cleaner and more relevant.

It’s perhaps worth noting that we could alternatively set the pinned topic up for auto-deletion of replies after a set time period, but I favor keeping this history around somewhere.

10 Likes

Thanks for doing this, the discussion was becoming something of a distraction.

I would also consider closing that topic and just including a link to this one at the bottom for discussion, but I am fine with either choice.

5 Likes

Thanks Matt, that was a good call.

2 Likes

@zdenek_hurak: thanks for the suggestion, done, in the future please post suggestions here.

2 Likes

Thanks for accepting the proposed item (advising people to come up with descriptive topic titles). And thanks also for the patience. Indeed, I screwed it up. I did spend a minute thinking about whether that was the right place for the post, but I somehow overlooked the information about the topic split.

I have erased my post from that place so as not to clutter it. The more so that the proposal has already been incorporated.

2 Likes

No worries, this is not a problem. We can always edit stuff.

1 Like

Now that “PSA” is gone from the title, you might want to change “public service announcement (PSA)” from the third sentence to just “post” or similar.

Likewise, now that discussion is being moved off of the post itself, you can probably delete the 5th sentence: “If you were referred to this wiki page in the course of solving a problem, it is recommended that you just read the first post, and ignore the discussion below.”. You might then consider merging the first two paragraphs and locking the thread to prevent more posts to it.

3 Likes

I was searching for the original post “Please read: make it …” , but I was unable to find it. Other PSA posts showed up instead. Even when I search for: PSA help, Discourse did not include the original post in the results. It clearly should have “PSA” in the title, often repeated arguments to the contrary notwithstanding.

The other thing the the original post should have is the PSA tag. This won’t pollute the title. Discourse will easily allow you to filter by tags. And there are few Julia posts tagged with PSA.

2 Likes

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I actually did find the post, but only because it was linked in a separate post that was made abut an hour ago. Then, from the original, I followed a link to this split topic. The original PSA is very important. My main point is that it could be easier to find, and a tag would help.

3 Likes

I think that with your trust level (regular) you could have added the tag yourself. I did it because I find it a reasonable thing to do. I would would be happy to remove it though if more people think it should not be there.

2 Likes