Is there a mature YAML parsing/saving package?

I know there is a YAML.jl, but it does not even support emitting Julia objects to YAML. Is there a better option?

3 Likes

I’d also like to have such a package, but as far as I know there is none. When you say it doesn’t “even” support emitting YAML … well, as far as I know, that’s the only thing that’s lacking? If you feel like contributing to that, have a look at issue #29. It seems the code mostly exists – it’s mostly a matter of combining it (and possibly switching YAML.jl over to ordered dicts).

2 Likes

Hi @singularitti,

since the pull request #68 has been merged, YAML.jl is able to emit Julia objects to YAML files (and YAML-formatted strings).

There are still a few limitations of the package mentioned in the README file, but I consider them rather minor. I hope the package is useful to you, now!

6 Likes

Terrific, thanks!

Unfortunately the YAML package hasn’t had a new release for over 15 months now, so you need YAML#master to enjoy this feature and some other improvements that have been merged during that time.

Just to update this thread, as it is the first thing i found upon googling yaml julia, the lastest release was october 2022. Additionally, the latest change was 3 weeks ago, so april 2023. So without testing, it appears that YAML.jl is updated and active.

3 Likes