Is sizeof() giving incorrect results instead of errors for structs with mutable fields?

Example:

struct IMMUT
    a::Int64
    b::Bool
end

sizeof(IMMUT(0, false)) == 16 # true since this is "with padding", as the documentation describes.

struct MUT
    a::Array
end

vctr = Int64[1, 2, 3]

sizeof(vctr) == 24 # true
sizeof(MUT(vctr)) == 24 # false
sizeof(MUT(vctr)) == 8 # true

In this case, I believe sizeof is returning the size of a pointer to the array, which on a 64 bit system is 8 bytes.

Since the array is heap allocated and tracked by the GC, it cannot be stored inline in the struct. The struct therefore contains a reference that points to the healp allocated object. It is for this same reason that isbits will return false on the second struct.

In this case, I believe sizeof is returning the size of a pointer to the array, which on a 64 bit system is 8 bytes.

This makes sense.

Is this the expected/correct behavior for sizeof() though?

I’m using Julia 1.9.0, and this is the documentaiton:

sizeof(T::DataType)
  sizeof(obj)

Size, in bytes, of the canonical binary representation of the given DataType T, if any. Or the size, in bytes, of object obj if it is not a DataType.

See also Base.summarysize.

Examples
  ≑≑≑≑≑≑≑≑≑≑

julia> sizeof(Float32)

julia> sizeof(ComplexF64)

julia> sizeof(1.0)

julia> sizeof(collect(1.0:10.0))

julia> struct StructWithPadding
             x::Int64
             flag::Bool
         end

julia> sizeof(StructWithPadding) # not the sum of `sizeof` of fields due to padding

julia> sizeof(Int64) + sizeof(Bool) # different from above

If DataType T does not have a specific size, an error is thrown.

julia> sizeof(AbstractArray)
  ERROR: Abstract type AbstractArray does not have a definite size.
  Stacktrace:
  [...]

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

sizeof(str::AbstractString)

Size, in bytes, of the string str. Equal to the number of code units in str multiplied by the size, in bytes, of one code unit in str.

Examples
  ≑≑≑≑≑≑≑≑≑≑

julia> sizeof("")

julia> sizeof("βˆ€")

Yes. Maybe Base.summarysize is closer to what you want, though I don’t think that is implemented to count all relevant memory either.

julia> Base.summarysize(Int64[])

julia> Base.summarysize(vctr) # +24 for 3 elements

julia> Base.summarysize(MUT(vctr)) # +8 for 1 pointer
4 Likes