I’ve been away from Julia for several years now, mostly because my company and field doesn’t really use it so implementing it is very difficult when no one will be able to read my code or use my packages.
I’ve been using AI agents extensively (like most I assume), they continue to get better and impress me for data analysis and pipelines.
My main question is the relevance of Julia in the age of AI for scientific computing for people like myself (go with quantitative genetics for now, not exactly but close enough).
Before the main draw to Julia for us was we didn’t have to learn C/C++/Fortran and Julia was much easier. We could get the speed/efficiency we needed without having to deal with pointers and low level “non-sense” (gc and such).
However, today I can easily implement C++ with Rcpp in my R package (only 200 lines so far but more coming). I cannot exactly pinpoint why I should come back to Julia for anything. It’s also easier than ever to jump to any language like Python if there is a better package ecosystem for certain tasks.
I know this is a sensitive topic on here, but I couldn’t find a recent post asking the same question. I guess I’m feeling more “language agnostic” in this new age. Not a formal programmer so we really have to leverage AI to get things done. I simply have my own tests and have AI write a crap ton of tests for validation and accuracy.