Is Julia’s destiny in the creative industry and building the virtual world?

My point was more that sometimes people are frustrated when they get no or negative feedback for posting their big ideas, because they think they are contributing a valuable thing. But in my opinion, coming up with big ideas is usually the easier part and bringing them to fruition the harder one. Discussions about completely inactionable things are bound to be unsatisfactory, I’ve found it more fulfilling to go and add small but concrete things to the ant hill we’re all building together.

7 Likes

It’s perfectly reasonable to not get any feedback on a proposal, if people don’t think it’s useful to comment until the user puts up a PR. (I’ve noticed this is the main response to new proposals on the Python discourse.) The problem is feedback for proposals on the Discourse is overwhelmingly negative (regardless of the proposal), often snarky or rude, and is sometimes even comes from people who clearly didn’t even read the original post. I think I’ve seen this maybe once or twice on the Python discourse, and both times it was quickly removed by a moderator and resulted in a warning.

I don’t disagree in theory. In practice, we have situations like this where a PR for a widely-requested feature has been stalled on a single implementation detail for 7 years, despite overwhelming support (172 likes vs. 4 dislikes).

Sure, language features shouldn’t be implemented if most people disapprove of them. Maybe the standard should even be higher than a simple majority. But if even these kinds of proposals can’t get merged, I’m honestly just not going to bother wasting my time on a PR that’s almost guaranteed to be rejected, unless the core devs have given a very positive response to the proposal on the Discourse.

I don’t think that is an accurate characterization

5 Likes

This is quite the open-ended topic whose subsequent discussion is quite unfocused.