Is IJulia meant to be working with Julia v1.0 yet?

question
jupyter

#1

I’ve been trying to get IJulia/Jupyter notebook to work on my (Windows 10 64 bit) computer. I installed Julia v1.0 (before this I was using Julia v0.6 which worked fine) and then installed IJulia, which gave the following message:

(v1.0) pkg> add IJulia
 Resolving package versions...
  Updating `C:\Users\c1235\.julia\environments\v1.0\Project.toml`
  [7073ff75] + IJulia v1.9.2
  Updating `C:\Users\c1235\.julia\environments\v1.0\Manifest.toml`
  [7073ff75] + IJulia v1.9.2
  [739be429] + MbedTLS v0.6.0
  [c2297ded] + ZMQ v0.6.3
  [7b1f6079] + FileWatching

When I opened Jupyter lab I saw the Julia 1.0.0 kernel as an option and was able to start a Julia notebook. However, when I tried to execute my first cell the computation never finished running, and my Jupyter console showed the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>jupyter-lab
[W 18:22:44.692 LabApp] JupyterLab server extension not enabled, manually loading...
[I 18:22:44.708 LabApp] JupyterLab extension loaded from C:\Program Files\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab
[I 18:22:44.708 LabApp] JupyterLab application directory is C:\Program Files\Anaconda3\share\jupyter\lab
[I 18:22:44.708 LabApp] Serving notebooks from local directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
[I 18:22:44.708 LabApp] The Jupyter Notebook is running at:
[I 18:22:44.708 LabApp] http://localhost:8888/?token=6cf33937414d8826ffd7cfa74ef5b5c1215177bd9158cf3d
[I 18:22:44.708 LabApp] Use Control-C to stop this server and shut down all kernels (twice to skip confirmation).
[C 18:22:44.724 LabApp]

    Copy/paste this URL into your browser when you connect for the first time,
    to login with a token:
        http://localhost:8888/?token=6cf33937414d8826ffd7cfa74ef5b5c1215177bd9158cf3d
[I 18:22:45.140 LabApp] Accepting one-time-token-authenticated connection from ::1
[W 18:22:49.775 LabApp] Could not determine jupyterlab build status without nodejs
[W 18:22:49.828 LabApp] 404 GET /api/contents/Untitled.ipynb?content=0&1534008169835 (::1): No such file or directory: Untitled.ipynb
[W 18:22:49.828 LabApp] No such file or directory: Untitled.ipynb
[W 18:22:49.844 LabApp] 404 GET /api/contents/Untitled.ipynb?content=0&1534008169835 (::1) 15.65ms referer=http://localhost:8888/lab
[I 18:22:54.219 LabApp] Creating new notebook in /
[I 18:22:59.557 LabApp] Kernel started: bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852
[ Info: Recompiling stale cache file C:\Users\c1235\.julia\compiled\v1.0\IJulia\nfu7T.ji for IJulia [7073ff75-c697-5162-941a-fcdaad2a7d2a]
Starting kernel event loops.
[I 18:23:14.173 LabApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852
[I 18:23:14.193 LabApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852
[I 18:23:14.204 LabApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852
[I 18:23:16.066 LabApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852
[I 18:23:26.074 LabApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852
[I 18:23:36.086 LabApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel bbacda69-c226-46de-a6db-55ec5457d852

I’ve also tried building IJulia, with the following result:

(v1.0) pkg> build IJulia
  Building Conda ──→ `C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\Conda\m7vem\deps\build.log`
  Building MbedTLS → `C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\MbedTLS\Qo8TN\deps\build.log`
┌ Error: Error building `MbedTLS`:
│ ERROR: LoadError: IOError: unlink: operation not permitted (EPERM)
│ Stacktrace:
│  [1] uv_error at .\libuv.jl:85 [inlined]
│  [2] unlink(::String) at .\file.jl:722
│  [3] #rm#9(::Bool, ::Bool, ::Function, ::String) at .\file.jl:253
│  [4] #rm at .\none:0 [inlined]
│  [5] macro expansion at .\logging.jl:317 [inlined]
│  [6] #uninstall#118(::Bool, ::Function, ::String) at C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\BinaryProvider\ZbFxn\src\Prefix.jl:409
│  [7] #uninstall at .\none:0 [inlined]
│  [8] macro expansion at .\logging.jl:308 [inlined]
│  [9] #install#115(::Prefix, ::String, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Function, ::String, ::String) at C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\BinaryProvider\ZbFxn\src\Prefix.jl:353
│  [10] (::getfield(BinaryProvider, Symbol("#kw##install")))(::NamedTuple{(:prefix, :force, :verbose),Tuple{Prefix,Bool,Bool}}, ::typeof(install), ::String, ::String) at .\none:0
│  [11] top-level scope at C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\MbedTLS\Qo8TN\deps\build.jl:45
│  [12] include at .\boot.jl:317 [inlined]
│  [13] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1038
│  [14] include(::Module, ::String) at .\sysimg.jl:29
│  [15] include(::String) at .\client.jl:388
│  [16] top-level scope at none:0
│ in expression starting at C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\MbedTLS\Qo8TN\deps\build.jl:41
└ @ Pkg.Operations C:\cygwin\home\Administrator\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.0\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:1068
  Building ZMQ ────→ `C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\ZMQ\GA4Xh\deps\build.log`
  Building IJulia ─→ `C:\Users\c1235\.julia\packages\IJulia\9RcVi\deps\build.log`

(v1.0) pkg>

#2

as of right now, it works


Julia Version 1.0.0
Commit 5d4eaca0c9 (2018-08-08 20:58 UTC)
Platform Info:
  OS: macOS (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0)
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.0 (ORCJIT, skylake)

#3

Apparently I’m not the only person with this problem. Might be a Windows only issue.



#4

indeed, fails on Windows 7 for me :frowning: