Introduction on Julia for a master course: feedback welcome :-)

I am preparing a master course on “Introduction to Scientific Programming and Machine Learning with Julia” for non-teach audience and I am preparing a (long) slide where I introduce Julia and I preview its main concepts.

Can you let me know if I am saying something really wrong in the video ?
Youtube: - YouTube

(and yes, my English is bad!)

2 Likes

Looks overall fine to me.

Just a few comments:

• concerning types: every value in Julia has a type even though most of the time the user does not have to specify it. Maybe useful here to make a distinction between bindings and values.
  • concerning multiple dispatch: your example comparing with OO languages is misleading: C++ will dispatch a method based not only on the runtime type (virtual method case) of the object but also on the compile time types of all its arguments (methods can have multiple signatures). Multiple dispatch in Julia is about dispatching on the runtime types of all arguments.
2 Likes

Yes thanks.

1. yes thanks, I’ll precise this, but for the binding note I’ll wait later in the course
  2. there is a long discussion here that C++ like polymorphism is not julia-like dispatch. Yes, I should avoid it, also because I am pretty sure that the audience is not confortable with C/C++, so it would only generate confusion.

I am still looking for an effective tool to deliver the notes, LibreOffice slide annotation is so buggy!!

I have something similar in Portuguese. Maybe you can Google Translate it.
Also for PhD and MsC students/candidates.

https://storopoli.io/Computacao-Cientifica/

4 Likes

A second version, should be much better:

A high level introduction to the main Julia characteristics (36 minutes video):

1 Like

Any chance of higher bitrate? Text in 360p is kind of painful.

1 Like

It is only because I just uploaded it, so youtube is processing the higher resolutions (and the transcripts).

Should be ready soon.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is correct to describe julia as “batteries included”. Julia is designed to be extended by packages.

2 Likes